We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time vacation to boston area

Frisco, TX
Level Contributor
325 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
1st time vacation to boston area

Thinking and looking to visit Boston next year for the first time and need help. We are young 60's, like the beach life, but no water activities. Like to people watch and basically just R&R. 3 days. maybe 4 , then thinking about heading south on the coastline.

When is a good time of the year to come visit?

Where would be best place to look at to catch as much as possible, since might be only trip back east.

Is most everything walking tours?

Free Tours by Foot - Boston Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Lessons on Liberty
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Off The Eaten Path Tours
Walking Tours, Food Tours
Boston
Level Contributor
3,925 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time vacation to boston area

I would suggest May, early June or September into October to avoid snow, ice, and steamy hot days walking on the pavement., I don't know what you mean by "everything walking tours" but Boston is very walkable and has an excellent public transportation system. There is no beach life in Boston but you could find restaurants to sit in that are along Atlantic or North Ave which will allow you to look at the boats in the harbor.

Study up on your Boston history then plan to walk all over the place and visit the North End, downtown, maybe the theatre district, South End (not Southie, no offense) etc. Downtown will include the Boston Commons, State House and the always famous Public Gardens.

From Boston, head south to fabulous beaches in Rhode Island or go to Cape Cod for Mass. beaches or Plymouth/Scituate/Marshfield, depending on your route.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,167 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time vacation to boston area

If by "beach life but no water activities" you mean that you don't swim, then it doesn't matter if the water is warmer or not. You could plan late May/Mid June, or come in Mid September-Mid October. You can walk around Boston on your own, or sign up for any of many numerous guided walking tours of various areas. Search the forum here and there's plenty of information on all that.

You can head South or North and have beautiful coastline. If you come in the September/October timeframe, you probably would be better off going South and avoiding the foliage crowds. You can find some glorious ocean views in Rhode Island and the Islands and Cape Cod at that time.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,558 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time vacation to boston area

For Boston, May has very high hotel pricing due to college graduation season. Mid June would be a great choice.

I'd suggest 3 nights in Boston, then rent a car and head to Cape Cod. How long will you have?

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time vacation to boston area

If you want to relax on the beach (which is sounds like to me from your post), I'd suggest going to cape cod. Split your trip. Do a couple nights in Boston and then a couple on the cape.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,854 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time vacation to boston area

Oh, and I'd suggest late August if that's what you want to do.

Frisco, TX
Level Contributor
325 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time vacation to boston area

Thanks for all the tips. Research time!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,222 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time vacation to boston area

I will venture to guess that coming from Texas, you won't find May or October to be beach weather. Even early June & late September can be very cool (like 50s & 60s). We've done the Cape at all of those times & had nice weather & other times had cold, rainy weather. The only mostly guaranteed beach weather time IMO, is most of July & early August.

Boston
Level Contributor
151 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time vacation to boston area

I think you'd like Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard for the entire trip. Both islands are definitely great people-watching, relaxing but fun beach towns with good restaurants and shopping.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,225 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time vacation to boston area

For the Cape portion of your trip, Early Sept is better than late August. Public schools in the Northeast do not start before late August with many starting in Sept either before or after Labor Day. The Cape is still busy with families in late August, including mine. Lodgimg prices on the Cape drop in Sept but in Boston they increase in Sept.

For the best of pricing in Both worlds consider labor day weekend in Boston than the Cape.

There will be some parents in town to drop off college kids, but they don't affect hotel prices as much as the Hilfiger uptick in business travel and conventions after Labor Day.

10. Re: 1st time vacation to boston area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2015, 05:17