We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant Dress Code

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant Dress Code

We are trying to reduce our luggage load for our trip to Boston. Any quality seafood restaurants in the Back Bay (such as Atlantic Fish Co.) where denim and nice tee are acceptable?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant Dress Code

I don't think anyone would kick you out, but why don't you bring one nicer outfit to wear for those special occasions. It really doesn't take up much room.

Edited: 25 June 2014, 16:52
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant Dress Code

If it's a nice designer denim, and you pair it with a collared shirt, instead of a t-shirt you would be fine. Most restaurants around here do not have formal dress codes any longer, except for a few that are run by a particular restaurant group that is trying to "class up" their restaurants by requiring stylish attire. As suggested above, it can't hurt to pack one slightly nicer outfit for going out in the evenings.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant Dress Code

I would bring at least three LaCoste polo shirts.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant Dress Code

Thomas, if they are LaCoste, they aren't Polo :)

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,800 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant Dress Code

No one will keep you out of a restaurant in downtown Boston for wearing jeans and a t-shirt, but you will be underdressed. A collared shirt and non-denim pants would be more appropriate. Outside of downtown, anything goes.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant Dress Code

Interesting history of the term "polo shirt" and LaCoste, beantownman. Apparently what we now refer to as a polo shirt was originally developed by LaCoste as a "tennis shirt" but gradually came to be worn by polo players:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polo_shirt

In any case I would not be seen in public without a crocodile on my shirt.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
2,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant Dress Code

Le Tigre is far cooler ;) rawr

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,081 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant Dress Code

Thomas: We read the same Wikipedia article :) Personally, I do prefer the polo ponies. Something about the crocodiles that just do not fit properly for me.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,213 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Restaurant Dress Code

Of course it all depends on the individual restaurant, but if it were up to me I would not allow people to dine at my tables wearing anything but genuine LaCoste.

Interesting article (review really) in today's Globe about the Parker House restaurant:

bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/…story.html

Boston
Level Contributor
6,709 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Restaurant Dress Code

They're not going to stop you from going in and God knows there will probably be somebody in there wearing sweatpants, flip flops, a tanktop and a backward baseball cap, but I wouldn't wear a T-shirt in there. At least wear a collared shirt and very nice jeans.

You don't have to bring a sport coat, but throw in some collared shirts and a pair of khakis.