We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

salt lake city
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

I too have sticker shock looking at the prices of nice hotels in downtown Boston. We are just starting to plan our trip for mid August. Wondering if anyone can suggest a nice suburban hotel very close to the "T" that might be a 10-20 minute trip into downtown that might be more affordable. We are a single mom and teenage daughter. We will be returning late some evenings so a close location to the T and safe area to walk back to the hotel in will be important. $200/night is a comfortable amount. But, will go higher if necessary.

Thanks so much!

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

I'd recommend you use the website www.lastminutetravel.com. If you have an iPad you can see the names of the hotels. You should be able to get something downtown at $200/night I think with that site.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

What are your exact dates, how many beds do you need, and will you have a car?

Woburn is near commuter rail but the walk from the hotels to the train is on a busy road and the rail ticket is 12.50 per person round trip (starting july 1) So one trip per day to Boston is $25 that cuts into your savings.

Motel 6 in Braintree is very close to subway. You can buy a 7day unlimited pass for $19 per person. But the trip Boston is about 30 minutes.

Give us some more details and let us look around before you resign yourself to the burbs.

salt lake city
Level Contributor
159 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

Thanks so much. .My teenage daughter and I will be arriving August 11 and departing on the 15th. A double bed will be fine. I know nothing about the Boston area. Can anyone tell me about the Davis Square area....how is it for ambience, convenience, access to T,walking the area late at night and anything else I have forgotten but should have mentioned?

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,211 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

Haven't read this thread but just want to point out that this question is asked at least once a day in this forum. It's actually kind of funny. Over the years, people keep trying to come up with a new answer. I have several times pointed out that some one should open a hotel called " reasonably priced hotel outside of Boston with access to public transportation".

I am an advocate of hosting the Olympics in Massachusetts just so we can build reasonably priced hotels near the T to house the athletes.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,626 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

Davis Square is fine. Lots of restaurants, candlepin bowling, a theater and a subway stop. Not far from Tufts University. Are you considering an apartment rental there?

Duvall, WA
Level Contributor
39 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

I booked a Boston Commons area hotel this morning through Priceline's express deal this morning. It was a bit over $200 but I'm going during the peak fall foliage season. It looks like you should be able to get a good hotel for under $200 in August through them.

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
74 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

Today I booked a one night stay using lastminutetravel.com for July 19. I got the Wyndham Downtown for $200 plus tax. By calling I was told the name of the hotel before booking. I spoke with Jose Rodriguez and he was very helpful. I called hotwire as well but they were sold out of reasonable downtown accommodations. Last-minute apparently had a larger inventory plus you can cancel the reservation.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

The Motel 6 in Braintree is not what I'd consider a "nice" hotel. I also wouldn't suggest walking late at night over there from the T for two women even though it's right across the street.

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
44 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

Does it have to be a hotel?...whenever we stay in Boston we rent a Condo in the North End...fantastic location and reasonable prices.

We usually use ZoeRentals or you can find others on VRBO

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,035 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suburb Recommendation Using the "T"

For a budget of $200 a night, I'd forget about the Motel 6. You can do much better.

I'd urge you to try Last Minute Travel, or Priceline bidding for a room. I'm sure you can probably win a bid with that budget on Priceline for a nice downtown hotel.

Otherwise, as Thomas alluded to above, if you read through the "Top Questions" for Boston, there are discussions about this that will give you all the information you need. Davis Square is a great location, I don't know of any hotels there, but if you are looking to rent an apartment there for your stay, it would be very nice.