We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable hotels a commute away for tourists...

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable hotels a commute away for tourists...

We're visiting Boston (first time, at the last minute, and cluelessly) from July 6 for a few days. Hotel prices are excruciating--even with discount sites; and we'll need two rooms for the family. It strikes me that it might be better to get a hotel that's near to public transportation, but outside the painfully expensive areas. I'm up for paying around $100-$130 per room but $250-$500 is actually beyond painful! Suite hotels like Embassy Suites where there are two separate rooms, one with a sofa bed, are also cool for us....

We will have a car but in cities we generally prefer to park the car and hoof it, or use public transportation.

Anyone got any great ideas? We would be eternally grateful!

Trailblazer Tours Boston - Private Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Boston By Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Old Town Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours
Boston...
Level Contributor
5,581 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable hotels a commute away for tourists...

Check out the site www.lastminutetravel.com. If you have an iPad you'll be able to see the names of hotels. You're not going to find something for $100-130/night though. Boston is a very expensive city.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,210 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable hotels a commute away for tourists...

why don't you do some research - find some places you could stay, and then ask us if staying at X hotel in Y town would be a good idea? your question is kind of intractable.

how about the Best Western in Woburn?

secure.rezserver.com/hotels/hotel/…

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable hotels a commute away for tourists...

Check out Embassy Suites Hotel in Waltham, they are showing a rate of $219.00 a night for a suite with 2 double beds & a pull-out couch, firg, microwave & wifi. If you have AAA, the rate is $207.00 and includes breakfast for 4 people. You could drive in to Boston (before/after rush hour) park at the Boston Common Parking Garage and go from there.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,039 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable hotels a commute away for tourists...

I'll refer you to the "Top Questions" section here, where all your questions have been answered.

Also, if you do not need to sleep more than 2 people in a room (it's unclear from your post if you want two rooms or one for your family), then you can bid on Priceline or Hotwire. Bid in your budget and you may get something.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 19:24
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable hotels a commute away for tourists...

Since you have a car and will be able to drive to a subway station and park, you have tons of options. Check out this recent thread for great ideas

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g60745-i48-k7594530…

Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
9 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable hotels a commute away for tourists...

Thanks for the responses--some good suggestions. Looks as if Embassy Suites is commutable, so that might be our best option.

BeantownMan, where are the Top questions? I got a little confused on the Read this First thread as it didn't seem to have the info I thought it might have e.g. areas for cheapskates lol. (Seriously--I'm kind of stunned by Boston being more expensive than London!).

We might just wait and bid on Priceline at the last minute too, but I have a suspicion that it might not work well in this case. I feel a little handicapped by not knowing anything about the areas. I did check out Salem per another thread but didn't find much for our dates....

Cambridge...
Level Contributor
3,650 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable hotels a commute away for tourists...

Why not check vrbo.com or airbnb.com and see what you can get for an apartment - it might be a lot less. It will be hard to fund something for 100-130 even in a farther suburb - that's just not what prices are here.

8. Re: Reasonable hotels a commute away for tourists...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 07:16