We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

Dallas, Texas
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

Does anyone know of any nice, safe hotels near Medford, MA that are under $100 a night? My son will be attending Tufts this fall. I plan to arrive Sunday August 24 and depart Thursday August 25. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

The area is ok, but there are not a lot of hotels and your budget is a little low. Look for B&Bs in Davis Square Somerville. They are conveniently located and may have rooms close to your budget

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

Our daughter will be attending Tufts as a graduate student starting in the fall. Seems to me I remember a La Quinta in Somerville. We aren't flying out with her from CA so I didn't really do a lot of research. Let us know what you find! We booked a fall foliage cruise for Sept. 2015 and will need a hotel for a few nights, too.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

Also, what about Airbnb? Is that available in Mass.?

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,627 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

Airbnb is available in MA, andVBRO and flip key and so on

La Quinta is in Somerville but not really near Tufts

Maryland
Level Contributor
514 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

Its going to be tough. We also have a freshman entering Tufts and everything close is either full or very expensive for the move in time period. If you are going to have a car suggest Woburn area, its a 10 or 15 minute drive and can usually find a decent room for under $150.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,036 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

It seems that Tufts has a discounting arrangement with some local hotels. You might want to look into these:

admissions.tufts.edu/visit/accommodations/

Boston
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

Hyatt Place in Medford

Hawthorne Suites in Arlington

These are about the closest, but it's very doubtful they will be as low as $100. For future reference they are currently building a hotel in Davis Square which is very close to Tufts, but, I'm sure it will be nowhere close to $100. $100 is low for this area, even in the suburbs.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

Meant Homewood Suites in Arlington.

Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

I just booked a great place through Airbnb in Medford on the next block where our Tufts grad student daughter will be living! $129 a night. We're staying 3 nights after a fall foliage cruise in 2015. Since it will be early October, pricing is really high. I hadn't realized that until I came to this forum.

Anyway, if any of you Tufts parents are interested, please send me a message and I'll share all the details. This is a 3 room apt. in a great residential neighborhood within walking distance to Tufts and Medford Square near the Mystic River. It can sleep 6-8. There's even a swimming pool! The middle aged couple lived next door in their own home. I've emailed back and forth and they're the nicest people! I know it's not until 2015, but we're looking forward to it and at a fraction of the price of a hotel.

Mastic Beach, New...
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotels in Medford, Somervile, MA area

We stayed at the Hyatt Place in Medford last Thanksgiving and it was very nice. Not under $100 a night, but not outrageously expensive (especially for a holiday weekend) either. I think it may have been about $125 a night, but I'm not positive.