We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for cheapest, basic lodging close proximity to port?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for cheapest, basic lodging close proximity to port?

We're taking a fall foliage cruise out of Boston in Sept. 2015. I know it's too early to book a hotel, but I thought I would get some ideas here.

We'll also be spending a couple of days after the cruise with our daughter who will be a grad student at Tufts University. Flying out from California.

So, for the night before our cruise all we want is the cheapest hotel/motel or B&B within close taxi proximity to the port. We won't be doing any sightseeing that day. Just a clean, but simple place to sleep before embarking the next morning. I'm even up for something like a Motel 6! ;)

Last year I was fortunate to find Last Minute Travel here and booked the Marriott Copley Place for 4 nights last August. I'm going to see if I can find something similar for a couple nights AFTER the cruise. Since our daughter will be in classes most of the day, we would like to stay in the city and venture out to Medford to see her.

But, as I said, we just want a basic room the night BEFORE our cruise to save a few dollars. I doubt they would have anything like that on LMT. :)

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for cheapest, basic lodging close proximity to port?

Fall, especially October is one of the priciest times of the year. The Christopher is near the convention center. Hotel bargains can be found there, if there is no convention. Look outside of downtown in East Boston or the city of Revere.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 06:22
Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for cheapest, basic lodging close proximity to port?

Thank you. I had no idea hotels were pricier at that time of year. Maybe because of the fall colors? Well, heck! :) I live in a coastal tourist town and our best weather is in the early fall, so hotel rates usually don't go down right after summer, either. But, definitely not our highest season. Thanks again!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,670 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for cheapest, basic lodging close proximity to port?

I think Forgotmypword's autocorrect changed cruise port in the post above. We need to think of the the best price combo of sleeping spot and getting to the cruise ship. If you stayed outside the city in a Motel 6 you would add to the cost of getting to the port in the morning.

I would books something in the seaport or convention center district that can be cancelled, and then try to reduce that rate on LMT closer to the date. If you wanted to add a tad of sightseeing to your morning you could try for a hotel near a water taxi stop.

bostonharborcruises.com/water-taxi/stops-map/

This would give you a brief harbor cruise in the AM as you are delivered to the cruise port. That would cost $15 each to get to Black Falcon Pier but would be a grand exit from Boston. (Weather permitting.)

Penny

http://www.bostonzest.com/

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for cheapest, basic lodging close proximity to port?

You are right Penny. Thank you for the "translation"! You would think after me rejecting "Christopher" in favor of "cruiseport" a dozen times the Kindle would "learn". That is what would happen if I managed the software! The overzealous auto-correct is the only think I do not like about the Kindle.

2leashes .... the fall foliage and the up-tick in business travel after the summer lull make Sept and Oct pricey. Also there is a big rowing event called "Head of the Charles Regatta" which brings tons of people to town for a weekend. I believe in 2915, that will be Oct 17 & 18. Avoid that weekend if you have a choice, it pushes lodging prices up.

Edited: 06 July 2014, 14:08
Santa Cruz, CA
Level Contributor
74 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for cheapest, basic lodging close proximity to port?

LOL. I was all ready to look up the "Christopher Hotel". Thank you both for your replies. We'll actually be looking at Sept. 26 2015 pre-cruise. After the cruise I found a place for three nights through Airbnb closer to where our daughter will be living when attending Tufts grad school. So much less than a hotel room! I loved our stay at the Marriott Copley place last year. Perfect location. But, with the cruise and airfare, I just can't justify spending a lot on lodging. In the meantime, when hotel reservations become available, I'll start looking for a one night pre-cruise room. And, of course, keep checking LMT.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for cheapest, basic lodging close proximity to port?

Marriott Copley often shows up on last minute travel ... Do not write it off yet. ;)

7. Re: Ideas for cheapest, basic lodging close proximity to port?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2015, 05:16