We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

leaving Boston for the Cape

Atlanta
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
leaving Boston for the Cape

I checked a while back and was advised to wait and see what the tunnel situation is like closer to our trip. We are arriving about 4pm on a Thurs. afternoon (9/21) and heading to Hyannis. We haven't reserved a car yet. Should we get one in Boston and muddle through rush hour and the complicated looking directions I've seen or maybe take the train a ways and then pick up a car. If so, are there are car rentals near train stops in the right direction?

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: leaving Boston for the Cape

Hi.

As of right now Gov. Romney has closed the tunnel for the near future. Define "near future?" It'll be closed in a month when you arrive. Guaranteed. That being said, coming out of Logan is not as daunting as it seems on a map or on Mapquest. After picking up your rental car follow the signs that say "airport exit." I'm not being a wise-guy--it's not as easy as it sounds. Once you start to leave the airport there will be a four-lane on-ramp to Rte. 1A, The Ted Williams Tunnnel, and the Sumner Tunnel. Take the Sumner Tunnel to Rte. 93. Once out of the tunnel head south on 93 and proceed to Rte 3 on your way to the Cape.

Mass
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: leaving Boston for the Cape

There is a bus you can get at South Station or the airport and it will take you right into Hyannis. From there you can rent a car and buzz all around the cape. Driving is nuts now, they just said the tunnel is not going to be open for a while.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: leaving Boston for the Cape

can you give me more info on the bus, i.e. how to find it at the airport, who runs it, can we handle luggage (we're only there for 4 days and we all travel pretty light, but still, we will have some bags). Also, where do they drop us in Hyannis?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: leaving Boston for the Cape

Schedule, fare, etc. info on the Logan bus can be found here:

http://www.p-b.com/lgnscripts.htm

Atlanta
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: leaving Boston for the Cape

thanks. I checked that, but can't make much out of the schedule. Any idea how much time would be involved in the trip Logan to Hyannis?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: leaving Boston for the Cape

That web page says travel time from Logan to Hyannis is approximately 2 hours. I imagine the bus line gives a somewhat generous estimate so that people don't get antsy; a more precise calculation is difficult because traffic conditions can be so unpredictable. Since you'll be leaving at rush hour, you won't be breezing along.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: leaving Boston for the Cape

Thanks. One more question. Are there car rentals at the Transportation Center where the bus stops in Hyannis?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
14,658 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: leaving Boston for the Cape

Trek, a local car rental agency, is next door to the Transportation Center.

http://www.capecodtravel.com/trek/

The rest are generally located en route to the airport, which is about a mile away from the bus station. I bet most, if not all, of those will send someone to come pick you up. So, if there's a national car rental outfit to which you are loyal, give them a call.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
307 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: leaving Boston for the Cape

The trip on the Plymouth and Brockton bus to Hyannis takes about 2 hours. It makes 6 stops. Trek Rent a Car(508-771-2459, 800-776-8735) is adjacent to the Hyannis Transportation Center where the bus will arrive. This is a small, local business that rents older, reliable, well-maintained cars at remarkably fair prices. Fred, the owner, manager, reservationist, mechanic and maintenance guy, is very outgoing and helpful with local information. I`ve been renting from him for several years and never experienced any problems. I think this is an excellent option for you

10. Re: leaving Boston for the Cape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2009, 07:19