We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
292 reviews
Save Topic
Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

I'm travelling from Australia for three days in Boston during September. I would have liked to go to a Patriots game but the short visit means that's not possible as I'll arrive the day after the Dolphins game and leave a couple of days before the Vikings (both away games anyway). l'd like recommendations about a good sports bar where I can sit and watch whatever games are on TV? I'll be staying at the Seaport so anything down around the water in that area would be good. Appreciate any advice, thanks.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

Although I do note that I have a choice of Red Sox games at Fenway Park so given that if I go there it's for the atmosphere where/what is the best seating to enjoy the game, the crowd, the mood and a beer or two? Thanks again

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

And this as my absolutely LAST reply to my own post... I realise that the season opener will be nowhere near the time that I'm there, I was originally looking at the 2012 schedule, sorry.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

The place in the seaport area which flies under the radar is Whiskey Priest. On the water, plenty of tv's and great Sheppard's pie.

Somerville...
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

I doubt any bar in Boston will NOT be showing the pats game. And it will absolutely trump the Sox.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,311 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

Jerry Remy's sports bar is right on the water in the Seaport area. It can get very crowded.

There's also that faux Irish pub in the Westin Hotel in the seaport.

Edited: 14 July 2014, 16:20
Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

Regarding Fenway seating, I would say try for anywhere in the grandstands or lower from right field foul pole to left field foul pole, if this is your first American baseball game.

It will give you a better view than say out in the centerfield bleachers so it will be easier to follow the action of the game. And if you don't follow baseball, don't be afraid to ask people seated near you about what's happening or the rules of the game. Several times over the years I've been seated by foreign visitors who have asked questions and it's never bothered me or the people around me.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
431 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

"faux irish pub"? I think not! Some of the reviews for teh Whisky Priest are less than enthusiastic and Jerry Remy's looks pretty good, "crowded" makes it even better. I only want to sink a few beers and soak up the atmoshpere while I watch the game ("Pats" for the initiated hey? NOT "Patriots"... got it!) So that's the football game taken care of. Have taken onboard the advice re the seats at Fenway. I understand the game so unless there are some particularly arcane aspects of strategy that I might otherwise miss out on I should be right. I'll go for a grandstand seat, probably for the second game of the triple header against Baltimore. that leaves me one night to walk the streets and have a look around. Thanks all for your advice.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,586 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

What can I tell you, I've been there and I like it. It's owned by an Irishman futbol/rugby player. There are usually Aussies there when I go. Remy's is ok, the food has been below average.

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,938 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

Just remember to bring your ID with you at any drinking establishment especially at Fenway.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,154 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sports bar to watch Patriots season opener near the Harbour

I remember feeling really old when I went to the Whiskey Priest. lol. It was before a concert at the Pavilion so maybe that's why. I like the Atlantic Beer Garden though.