We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Braintree or Salem

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Braintree or Salem

We are planning a trip to Boston in September We don't want to lodge in the city (too pricey), but can't decide whether to stay in Braintree or Salem (we want to visit this place anyway). Can anyone advise which location would be best as far as using the transportation service into the Boston area. Appreciate you advise.

Baltimore, Maryland
Destination Expert
for North Conway
Level Contributor
12,082 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Braintree or Salem

Braintree is probably closer but not much in Braintree itself when you return in evening. Do you have a car? If not then maybe Salem is better from a things to do point of view.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,028 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Braintree or Salem

Well it depends .... where in each city would you be staying and could you walk to public transportation or need to drive there (assuming you have a car). If you don't have a car, pick the one that's within walking distance of your transportation.

Braintree is on the subway's red line which runs all from about 6am to 11:30pm, and later on Friday and Saturdays. But, there's not much in the way of tourist attractions in Braintree. The subway will cost $2.65 per person per trip, or you can buy a 7-day unlimitted pass for $19 per person.

Salem has a lot more things to do than Braintree. You can commute to Boston via ferry or commuter rail, but both are on fixed schedules and much pricier than braintree. There are several B&Bs in Salem, but only two hotels, so I'm not sure what you'll find.

Good Luck!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Braintree or Salem

Yes, we will have a car

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Braintree or Salem

Thank you for your reply. We were thinking about staying at the Salem Waterfront Hotel for 3 nights) Out of the 3 days, we plan to go to Boston for one or two days. A friend mentioned that he went into Boston from Braintree so I am looking for the best route into Boston. This is our first visit to Boston. Sounds like Salem may work after all

After Salem , we are driving up the coast to Bar Harbour.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,545 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Braintree or Salem

As mentioned above you can commute directly from Salem to Boston by commuter rail or ferry. Another option would be to drive to Wonderland Station in Revere, park, and take the Blue Line (subway) into Boston. The subway runs much more frequently than the commuter rail and is a less expensive mode as well.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,248 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Braintree or Salem

I would pick Salem; more things to do and IMHO, more interesting for a visitor.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,434 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Braintree or Salem

Yes, Salem. If you stay at the Waterfront Hotel there is a lot you can walk to and you have the ferry and train options for Boston.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,938 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Braintree or Salem

Salem then a easy drive to Bar Harbor.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
21 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Braintree or Salem

Thank you! This is very helpful. I appreciate this information

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,296 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Braintree or Salem

Yeah, I live on the south shore and wouldn't really suggest staying in Braintree. The south shore plaza is there (big mall) but that's about it. Some people stay at that Motel 6 which is across the street from the T station, but I wouldn't recommend it. Skeeves me out when the rooms are all accessed from the outside. I just don't think it's safe.