We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Concord from Boston?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Concord from Boston?

Hi, everyone! I hope someone can help give me some advice. My husband and I will be staying in the convention center area of Boston, and I'm looking to do a day trip to see Concord. I'd be happy to see Lexington too, but could take that or leave it-- I'm most interested in the literary spots in Concord. Particularly, I'd love to see Walden Pond (and maybe the cemetery there), as well as the houses. I thought about doing an organized tour because I've heard that's a good way to get around the towns and learn about the history, but they don't go to Walden Pond.

Any suggestions/recommendations? I won't have a car. I don't mind walking a bit, so long as it's not a crazy far way.

Thanks in advance!

Ashley

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,212 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Concord from Boston?

I would suggest perhaps renti ng a car for that trip.

Boston...
Level Contributor
12,883 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Concord from Boston?

I agree with Alan. You can get to Concord center on the commuter rail. It would be easy enough to walk to the Old North Bridge area, but Walden Pond would be (IMO) a prohibitively long walk from the center of town and back.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,097 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Concord from Boston?

You can take the commuter rail from North Station to Concord Center. The train station is about a 15 minute walk to Concord downtown, where you will find the Ralph Waldo Emerson House, Orchard House (home of Louisa May Alcott) and the Concord Museum, which has on display the contents of Thoreau's house at Walden Pond and Emerson's actual study.. Maybe another 10 minute walk from downtown is the Old Manse, where Emerson and Hawthorne lived. It is literally right next to Old North Bridge. You can tour the houses.

Re: Walden Pond: You will need to walk there; take Walden Street. I've driven it but never walked it and my best guess is it is maybe a half hour walk at best? You will need to cross Route 2, which is a busy high

but there is a cross walk at the set of lights. Alternatively, this historical footpath might be an interesting way to get there but it seems like it is a light hike: newenglandtravelplanner.com/go/ma/boston_wes…

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Concord from Boston?

You really need a car to tour Concord sensibly. I do see people walking up the hill to cross route 2 to get to Walden Pond presumably from the train station but it's basically the opposite direction from the rest of town. Study a map. Be aware that on busy summer days the pond is closed to even walk-ons although I have no idea how they would enforce that and can't imagine they would turn you away if you just wanted to see Thoreau's hut site.

I think it's about the same distance from the station to the North Bridge but the walk into town is nicer than the walk to the Pond. There is no cemetary at the pond so I assume you mean sleepy hollow in town.

Edited: 18 July 2014, 14:31
Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Concord from Boston?

On busy summer days the pond "fills up" with visitors and they will close access until 5pm, typically. Is what I meant. :-)

Pensacola, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Concord from Boston?

You have all been SO helpful. Thank you. I'm thinking what I may do is just save Walden Pond for another trip and focus on the houses. Is Sleepy Hollow walkable from the center of downtown? That's one thing I haven't looked at on a map yet. Thank you again!

Ashley

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Concord from Boston?

Yes, you can enter Sleepy Hollow from just outside downtown. It's a short walk to get there, but once in the cemetery you can walk on and on.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Concord from Boston?

Sleepy Hollow is I think exactly 1 mile from the train, but it's a pleasant, flat walk on sidewalks. Be sure to stop in the Concord library.

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Concord from Boston?

Thanks for all the suggestions to the OP's questions. There were helpful to me also as I plan a day trip to Concord using MBTA out of Salem to Concord sometime between Oct 15-22.

Ashley: Would you post your experiences after you went? I - and most likely - many others would find this helpful also.

Thanks.

Edited: 20 July 2014, 00:12
10. Re: Getting to Concord from Boston?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 05:16