We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BC football parking / T-stop

Greenville
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
BC football parking / T-stop

My wife and I will be in town for the Boston College / Clemson football game on September 9. Wonder if someone could give us some idea of parking availablilty around the stadium. We are staying in Burlington and will have a rental car. Alternatively, we may want to go into Boston on Saturday morning for sightseeing and lunch and then take the T to the game. Would this be a better option? How close is the nearest T stop to the stadium? How long should we allow for a trip from downtown to BC via the T? As always, any and all advice is appreciated.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BC football parking / T-stop

Hi.

Parking at BC football games is very difficult to say the least. You'll need permits to park in the main field closest to the stadium where everyone tailgates. If not, you'll park somewhere else in Newton and take a shuttle over--which isn't really a good time.

The best solution is the T. There's a "Boston College" stop on the Green Line. There are 4 different Green Line trains-B,C,D,E. Look for the B Train. How do I get to the Green Line? Well, I really like your suggestion of spending the day in the city. If you're in the city already find your way to Kenmore Square (where Comm Ave, Beacon Street, and Brookline Ave converge). That's a huge Green Line stop. You'll have no problem getting a B train there. I'd allow a solid hour to get there. It won't take that (it might take 40 minutes on a bad day) but this is a big game--you don't want to miss anything!

Parking your rental in Boston? No problem. From Burlington go North on Rte. 128/95 to 93 South towards Boston. Take the Sullivan Square exit and follow signs into Charlestown. It's a bit confusing but just watch your signs. Anyway, find your way to the Warren Street area in Cahrlestown. Parking in the Charlestown neighborhood of Boston is free and you don't need a permit on weekends. Start your sightseeing here (Bunker Hill Monument, USS Constitution, etc.). It's a short walk over the North Washington Bridge to downtown, North End, Beacon Hill, etc. And there's a Green Line stop at North Station(take a right at the end of the No. Washington Bridge and you can't miss it). Enjoy!

Greenville
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: BC football parking / T-stop

Healey04: WOW! Thanks so much for the information. You have quite probably saved us a lot of time and trouble. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. Before I read your response, I was thinking about parking at the Boston Commons garage. I believe I read that it is $10 for all day on weekends Would there be any advantage to doing this from a location standpoint? Or would it fill up on a Saturday?

Boston
Level Contributor
6,500 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BC football parking / T-stop

You can't park anywhere near the stadium unless you've paid huge amounts of money for the privelage already. BC does operate satellite lots for football games and runs shuttle buses to them. I think at least some require passes to use them. There may be more information on the BC website.

Taking the T is probably your best option. The Boston Common garage would be fine. The BC line is the slowest of the Green Lines and it will probably take you a good 45 minutes to get up there. It's only a 5 or 10 minute walk to the stadium from the BC stop.

If you are not going to spend the morning in town, you could drive to a T-stop and park and take the train in. There is no really close stop to Burlington, but a ride to Wellington or Alewife would not be too bad. You will have no trouble parking at these stations on a Saturday.

I think I'm going to that game, too!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BC football parking / T-stop

Hi Cutiger76,

Parking at The Boston Common garage for ten dollars sounds like a bargain. During the week it's something like $10 an hour! Anyway, there are two close Green Line stops near the garage--Park Street and Arlington (on you guessed it--Arlington St.). I would recommend Arlington for two reasons 1. It's one stop closer and 2. The other side of the Common can be a bit seedy. The Park Street T stop is on the verge of Downtown Crossing, a once vibrant shopping mecca but now an eyesore polluted with pan-handlers and addicts. The garage is situated between the Common and The Public Garden. Migrate towards the Public Garden and Beacon Street. From there, you're on the verge of two great Boston neighborhoods-Back Bay and Beacon Hill. There will be a Starbucks on the corner--that's Charles Street. Walk down there and explore Beacon Hill (great pizza place called The Upper Crust on Charles St if you're hungry). Walk uphill on Beacon St and you can visit the State House. Go through the Public Garden and you'll be in the Back Bay and right near all the shops on Newbury Street. I like it. Enjoy!

Greenville
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BC football parking / T-stop

Thanks again Healey04....I am guessing that it is not a very far walk from the Commons garage to the Prudential Center....we want to take a Duck tour from there if we get there early enough in Saturday morning. Is my guess correct?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,605 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: BC football parking / T-stop

From the Common, it's about 6 or 7 blocks to Prudential Center. Even then, it's such a pleasant walk via either Newbury or Boylston Street, with all the stores and beautiful architecture. Of course, that's unless it's raining. Then things don't look quite so nice.

As you've already heard, parking in the Common Underground Garage is no problem on Saturday. That's why they have the reduced rates. If you're looking at a map, the entrance is on Charles Street, which is one-way from Boylston towards Beacon.

Greenville
Level Contributor
66 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BC football parking / T-stop

Thanks AlanM....I believe we are all set. I have had the pleasure of visiting Boston before, but it has been quite a few years ago. I just love the city, except for driving of course. This will be first time visiting for my wife and she is really looking forward to it.

So much good information has been offered thru this forum. Thanks to everyone!

8. Re: BC football parking / T-stop

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2009, 22:17