We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
288 reviews
Save Topic
First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

My wife and I would love to enjoy a week in the northeast. We have been dying to visit Boston, Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard. I am a planner and like to research on where to go, when to go, etc.

We would fly into Logan and would like to stay in the area since its convenient. The hotels are super expensive in Boston. I am sure I can find a good deal on a nice one before we head up there. My main concerns is how much time to give to Cape and Martha's. We would go in to Boston and stay 3-4 days. Somehow get to the Cape and would love to stay there 2 days if possible. Then take a day trip to Martha's.

Is this enough time? Anyone can suggest anything better? I would want to drive up and down the Cape to get it all in. Is 2 days enough? 1 day in Martha's enough?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. We can't wait to visit. Thanks.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,244 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

Hi, my first question would be when are you planning to come? If it is before November, I would say split your time evenly between Boston & the Cape - 3 days in each would be a good balance, especially if you want to drive/see the entire Cape. Ferries to the Vineyard leave from Falmouth or Hyannis; Falmouth is much less expensive & quicker in terms of the ferry. One day on the Vineyard is fine, you can either use the great bus system they have to get around for the day, or rent bikes. You might also consider booking a tour so that you can see the whole island. You can also bring a car over - you need to make reservations for that with the Steamship Authority.

You do not need a car until you leave Boston.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 15:30
Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

Thanks for the information kendrick. I am planning way in advance. It will probably be for next year. Either May or August. Around the busy months of summer. I have seen a lot of great tours from Boston to the Cape, etc. Its a lot but hopefully I can come up with a plan of attack. We can't wait.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,411 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

May, before memorial day weekend (May 22-25 in 2015), will have lower cost lodging on the Cape and the Vineyard (we shorten to "the Vineyard", not "Martha's), But that is college graduation season in Boston, and hotels will be high, especially the weekend BEFORE Memorial Day weekend, (approx May 14-17) because this is the wekeend with the most commencement cermonies.

August will bring you more moderate prices in Boston, compared to May, but that is "peak season" on the Cape and Vineyard.

So ... it is really a toss up.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,819 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

Just know that in May it will not be warm enough for the beach if that is what your are planning to do on the Cape. Also, the reason that May is very expensive for hotels in Boston is because all of the colleges have their graduations. But, as Forgot notes, August will be more expensive on the Cape.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
24,411 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

Actually, early- to mid-June might be a good compromise. Public schools around here don't get out until late June, so the Cape is a bit quieter with out as many local families visiting. Hotels in Boston are less expensive than most of May, but you need to be careful not to run into a big convention.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
28 posts
288 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

Great, thanks for the information everyone! Maybe Early June, after Memorial Weekend would be good.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
31,342 posts
588 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

"Just know that in May it will not be warm enough for the beach if that is what your are planning to do on the Cape."

True, even in NYC it was always cold even in mid July. But then again the OP is coming from Miami so may not be as interested in going to a beach in the north.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
2,709 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

Well, as others have intimated, it's pretty busy on the Cape and Vineyard in the summer. If I were taking this trip, I'd come the first week after Labor Day, kids are back in school, but the weather is still delightful.

I would also extend my trip a few days if possible. You could do a few days on the Cape and then overnight on the Vineyard, or simply go over for the day. And to complicate you planning, check out Nantucket -- it's a real gem.

Happy planning.

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

May is too early for the Cape. The water is still cold so the air stays chilly. August is jam packed on the Cape with lots of traffic and clogged roadways. Early September is an excellent time to visit. The weather is still warm. There will be less traffic on the Cape as the kids will be back in school. If you want to come before September and you are planning a beach vacation then come in August.

10. Re: First timers to Boston, Cape and Martha's!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2015, 05:18