We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NY
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Topic
Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

Is that considered Back Bay?

How long of a walk to downtown?

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

Depends. What do you consider "Downtown" and why do you want to go there?

If you are asking if that is a convenient location to shopping, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc, the answer is yes, it would be a good location. It is on the border between the Back Bay and South End neighborhoods.

NY
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

I'm just doing a few days of touristy things in Boston (Freedom Trail, Ducks, Salem, etc)

Copley House around $200?

Seems like I can get a hotel right in downtown $225 (?) not much more, so it's seems like a toss up.

Will it be a hassle to get to and from? How long a walk to the core of downtown?

If I had to take a taxi from core downtown to Pru, about how much would that cost?

Easy to find a taxi, in general?

Edited: 01 August 2014, 17:20
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Martha's Vineyard
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

Boston is a compact, walkable city with great public transportation. The Copley House is only a short walk to the T and you will not have any problem getting a cab, especially if you walk around the corner to Huntington Ave.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

Again, there is no such thing as "core downtown" Boston. As I mentioned, for the touristy things you want to do, that location is convenient and close to many of them. The Ducks leave from the Museum of Science and you can take the Green Line right from Prudential Station to Science Park. You are close to Newbury St. and Copley and Prudential center for shopping. You can walk to Park St. for the start of the Freedom Trail, or again, you can catch the Green Line at Prudential to Park St. if you want.

If you want to go to Salem, again you can catch the Green Line at Prudential to North Station and take the Train to Salem. I'm not sure how much more convenient you need to be. Taxis are all over and your hotel can certainly get one for you easily as well.

NY
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

I was told to not use the Prudential T stop (infrequent service?) but instead walk 10 mins to the Copley T.

Is that accurate?

Boston...
Level Contributor
410 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

The Prudential T stop is in the Back Bay, and is a great location. There are also a lot of other T stops also walking distance, which I'd personally walk to instead since the Pru stop because it's on the E line, which basically means there's a lot less trains into that station than nearby stations like Copley or Hynes T stop.

The Pru T stop is also in the Prudential Center which connects to Copley Mall, and you can walk to the Back Bay Station (Orange Line) if needed.

Back Bay is one of the most recommended areas to stay on this board. There's a lot of restaurants, shopping, and more.

You will find a lot of things to do in that area, as well as a Duck Tour location. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to Fenway Park, and about a 20 minute walk in the opposite direction to Boston Common. It's about a 5 minute walk to Copley Square.

It is usually pretty easy to find a taxi (with the exception of a large conference, terrible weather or very late at night, etc.) A lot of taxis line up right next to the Sheraton, which is about 100 feet from the Pru T stop. However, Boston is a walking city and it's easy to get around on foot and it has a good transit system, so you may find you won't need a taxi.

7. Re: Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 01 September 2014, 13:04
Edited: 01 September 2014, 13:04
NY
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

That said, I do like the idea of staying away from the core in the evenings, where I can go to a local restaurant and not be in tourism/business central 24/7. That may be the difference.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

No, actually that's not accurate. The E line runs through Prudential. It is also the only line that runs to the Museum of Science for example. It is also only one of two lines that run to North Station. So, if you walk 10 minutes to Copley and you want to go to on a Duck Tour, you will need to wait at Copley for an E train to take you there, or take a B train, get off at Park St. and switch to an E train, or get off at North Station and wait for an E train.

I think it's easier to get on at Prudential. We are talking the Green Line, not the commuter rail. It's not 30 minutes between trains.

Also, you seem to be fixated on "core downtown" as if that is where everything of any interest would be. I'm curious if you could point out on a map where this "core downtown" is located? Otherwise, as I mentioned, the things you want to do are located in various areas around the city, and since the city itself is very compact, it isn't going to matter where you stay in that general area. In fact, if you are at Quincy Market and you want to go back to your hotel for a nap, you can take a 15 minute T ride, or a 5-10 minute taxi ride to do it. If you are shopping on Newbury St. when you feel tired, you have a 10 minute walk back to your hotel. I don't see what the issue is.

Edited: 01 August 2014, 18:10
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
5,930 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Would you stay near the Prudential T stop? Too far?

Since your avatar says you are from NY, is that NYC area? Let me put it in other terms. It's the difference between staying in Midtown Manhattan, Vs. the West Village, Vs the Upper East Side. It's not like the difference between staying in Manhattan and Queens, for example.