We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston trip report

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Boston trip report

My son and I go on a baseball junket every year and late last year I finally made up my mind that next year we would go to Boston and see the Jays play. In February, I got serious about it, booked our flight, bought the ball tickets and also chose a hotel. I did do extensive research on Trip Advisor when it came to the hotel and ball tickets.

We flew down on Cape Air out of Ogdensburg NY as it's far cheaper than flying out of Ottawa direct to Boston. That in itself was something of an 'adventure' and if you want to have more details, please PM me.

FROM LOGAN AIRPORT

We landed at Terminal C and followed the signs out to the Logan Express. We arrived three hours late and wanted to get to our hotel fast without paying a lot for a cab as we only had one small bag each. I believe you can buy a weekly MBTA pass for $19 which is good for Logan Express but we opted for the $5 each fare as we planned to walk around Boston and take the Trolley Tour. No cash - MBTA pass or credit card only. It was a bit disconcerting as the bus drove past Fenway Park and away from downtown but did a u-turn just before the toll booths on the Mass Turnpike and headed back. We got off at Copley Square which was less than a 10 minute walk from our hotel. Another stop is in from the Hynes Center next to the Prudential Center

HOTEL- I wanted a hotel in an area where we could walk to Fenway Park and was also close to a good selection of restaurants. I became aware of a site - 'Last Minute Travel' by posting here where you could book hotels at significant savings... I lucked out by getting a great deal on the Colonnade which met all my criteria and had mostly positive reviews on TA. It cost app. $825.00 for four nights, taxes included which was far less than booking directly with the hotel. I liked our room with two big and comfortable beds and a decent sized bathroom. I dealt with two concierges that were most helpful and friendly...I'd certainly stay at the Colonnade again.

FENWAY PARK - We walked through the Prudential Center exiting at Boylston St. left and then right on Ipswich. You could also continue on Boylston - curves right past a park on the left. We returned the same way we came. Walk of 15 - 20 minutes. We had lunch at the Bleacher Bar after picking up our tickets. Access off of Lansdowne St. You can see right onto the outfield and take pictures as long as it's not just before or during the game. Inside Fenway is a real jewel - a ball fan's dream with incredible atmosphere. The only downer was the sky high concession costs- $9 for beer, $4 for a bottle of water. Sort of funny asking a 65 year old for ID- must be some state law. I didn't get ID'd at any place we ate....

OTHER ATTRACTIONS - I highly recommend the Trolley Tour! There are a couple of different ones plus Duck Tours as well. The one we chose had orange and green trollies. Cost was only $85 Canadian for both of us which included a senior discount. Also, you could use it for free on the next day and it also included a 45 minute harbour tour and the Boston Tea Party tour. There was a stop right in front of our hotel and you can get on and off at close to 20 stops. The drivers were great - Bubba, Irish and the 'Warden' (Mike). Funny and informative! I don't know how they managed to drive around downtown Boston while keeping up non-stop chatter but they did!

I loved Quincy Market- lots of shopping plus loads of places to eat. Harbour cruise and Boston Tea Party tours were informative.. I'd recommend both. We also walked part of the Freedom Trail. Very easy to follow with the special inlay in the sidewalk.

DINING

Included Thorntons for breakfast ( 2 minutes from hotel ), Champions, McGreevys, Boston Burger Co., Bleacher Bar and Dick's Last Resort and Cheers at Quincy Market. I've written up or will write up reviews of all of these places.

OVERALL - Fantastic and fascinating city!. I found it very clean and the biggest plus was the ability to get almost anywhere downtown on foot. I hope to get back soon - hopefully running in the Boston Marathon next April...

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,047 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston trip report

Thanks for taking the time to write the report. Some good details about the Logan Express and the trolley tour. If you come for the marathon, make hotel reservations early! That was a great deal for the Colonnade.

Ottawa Canada
Level Contributor
108 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston trip report

I've already booked for the Marathon. Got a very good deal at the Hilton Doubletree Downtown. Not as nice as the Colonnade but that weekend- you take what you can get. I actually asked at the Colonnade the rate for Marathon weekend. At $649 a night, I took a pass!

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,047 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston trip report

Good for you! You're way ahead of me.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,140 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston trip report

Nice review. Glad you had a good time.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,279 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston trip report

Very good TR and a huge bonus staying at the Colonnade glad you had a good vacation thanks for posting.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,300 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston trip report

We love trip reports! Thanks for sharing the details. The orange and green trolley is Old Town Trolley.

Hope to hear from you again when you are nearer to the marathon.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,493 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston trip report

Glad you enjoyed your baseball-focused visit and thanks for reporting back! Best wishes on your run next April!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15,154 posts
766 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston trip report

Solid TR, gives some solid insight!

Boston
Level Contributor
6,294 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston trip report

Thanks for the report

Fairhaven...
Destination Expert
for New Bedford
Level Contributor
1,766 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston trip report

Yes, prices of concessions are shocking at Fenway. I never buy a thing. I bring one unopened bottle of water into the park as it is allowed. There is a 7-11 convenience store close by to pick one up before entering the park. Glad you enjoyed your trip.