We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best park and ride option?

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
central NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Best park and ride option?

If staying in the Bellirica area, any suggestions for the best park and ride option into Boston? I see the commuter train can be picked up right in Bellirica but that's an hour trip. Wondering if we should drive in closer and park at a station closer to Boston? I don't mind the drive...just looking for a cheaper parking option than paying for a garage in the city.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best park and ride option?

depending on the number of people in your group, it's probably cheaper to drive into the city and park. there are however a lot of factors here: how many people, how often are you planning to do this, what time of day, what day of the week, and exactly where you are staying in Billerica would be good to know.

The North Billerica train station is a good place to park. From there the ride into North Station is 36 minutes ( I don't know why you think it is 1 hour) - whatever it is will be faster than driving, but if there are four of you, it will cost you about $72 round/trip to take the train. Cheaper to park in town.

Edited: 06 August 2014, 14:24
Belmont...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best park and ride option?

Alewife Station in West Cambridge is easily accessed off of Route 2. Parking is $7 a day and you can get right on the Red Line there.

Belmont...
Level Contributor
26 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best park and ride option?

BTW--Google maps says it's about a half hour drive from Billerica to Alewife, but that will vary depending on time of day. I'd avoid it at rush hour if possible.

mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/…

central NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best park and ride option?

Thanks! Just my husband, daughter and myself. Staying out of the city to save a little money so driving in and finding street parking or parking at Alewife or another mbta station might be a good option. Someone offline mentioned parking at the Braintree station too. I appreciate the input!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,946 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best park and ride option?

Alewife is a good suggestion and cheap Braintee fills up a lot and is not that big.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,608 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best park and ride option?

Going from Billerica (northwest of the city) to Braintree (south of the city) to take the train into Boston doesn't make sense to me. You'd have to either drive through the city to Braintree or around the city on very busy Route 95 (128) to get to Braintree. Best to approach the city from one of the recommended transit stations to the north of Boston....

From Billerica to Braintree is about 39 miles (one-way) according to Google maps.

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,134 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best park and ride option?

Don't try driving from Billerica to Alewife between 7 and 10 am and even after 10 am, the traffic is unreal. Well worth taking the train.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,339 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best park and ride option?

Welcome to the forum. Have you considered other options than Billerica? Though you may be saving money you sure are going to waste time with commuting into the city. If you have specific dates and a budget we may be able to offer additional suggestions.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,033 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best park and ride option?

Consider getting on 93 south and parking at Wellington station on the subway's orange line. Do not be alarmed about the lot filling up there. The T-managed lot does get filled, but if you get there and it is full, follow the signs for the drop off area and just beyond that is a private lot that never fills. Parking is $6 (maybe $7 for private lot ) and roundtrip fare is $5.30 for each person over 11.

If you take the train from North Billerica, parking is $4 and round trip fare is $17 per person over 11.

If you drive into the city, you can park at the Boston Common GarAge for $18 on weekends and on weekdays it is $28 for 10 hours or $32 for up to 24 hours. No matter which day you look at, driving is probably more cost effective than train from Billerica, even after adding in gas.

Is there any way you would consider changing your hotel to something closer to the city? If you tell us your exact dates and preferred budget, maybe we can help.

Edited: 07 August 2014, 12:15
central NY
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best park and ride option?

We would like to go for 2 or 3 nights sometimes between 8/23 - 8/30. We picked the Homewood Suites in Bellerica because we like the chain, prefer a separate bedroom, wanted a pool and the price was very good, including free parking, breakfast, etc. for a reasonable rate. Since neither of us mind driving in the city it made more sense than any hotel closer to Boston that we could find.