We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

Beaver, Utah
Level Contributor
90 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

We would like to rent a car one day while in Boston and take our 11 year old to Plimoth Plantation. I have always wanted to see Cape Cod. Would there be enough time to take a drive there after the plantation? I don't know where or what I would want to see, however. It will be the end of September so not beach weather. Any ideas or suggestions? Is there a ferry to Ptown from Plymouth instead of driving?

Mentioned in this post
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

It depends on how far you want to travel onto the Cape and what time of year you will be here. If you come at a time of the year when the sun sets early, you probably won't have much time to see the Cape.

Beaver, Utah
Level Contributor
90 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

Maybe drive to Hyannis? Planning on spending 4 hours or less at the plantation and arriving by 10am.

Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
25,099 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

Yes, then you could do Hyannis or beyond.

Mentioned in this post
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

There is a ferry from Plymouth to ptown and back but not positive how late in the season it runs and due to its schedule I don't think you could combine the rt ferry with visiting the plantation

It is definitely possible with a rental car though

No traffic on the cape in mid or late sept

Figure 1 hour to the plantation from Boston and another hour maybe a little more to ptown

You could stop at Chatham to save a little time that is also a great town

I don't love Hyannis as a tourist/scenic 1 day cape drive location

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Boston...
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

If the ferry is running that is a definite option from Plymouth but it is an hour and a half ride and pricey. You can drive to P-town from Plymouth but it will also take you and hour and a half. Cheaper though. Hyannis wouldn't be my pick for a day trip.

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Hyannis
Hyannis
Cape Cod, MA
Beaver, Utah
Level Contributor
90 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

So, which town would you choose, if I decide i don't have time to drive clear to Ptown?

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,184 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

It really depends on what you'd like to do and see. Read up about the different towns on the cape.

Boston
Level Contributor
690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

The main thing I would want you to see more so than any towns on the Cape is the national seashore.

If in the area have to visit one or more of the beaches there even the day is chilly or overcast.

That section starts right after Chatham, and includes towns of Wellfleet, Eastham, Truro and Provincetown.

Marconi beach in Wellfleet is probably your best option, but Coast Guard Beach and Nauset Light Beach both in Eastham could be done in addition or instead.

The 2 best towns for tourism and scenery are Provincetown and Chatham but the beaches are better in Wellfleet, Eastham or Truro ; so go to the beach first to see the national seashore and then determine if you want to continue to Provincetown or head back and hit Chatham on your way.

Chatham has some nice shopping and great vistas, but is a high end / pricey town in general.

Provincetown has a funky, island feel with a mix of tourist shops and some high end shops.

More food options in Provincetown and if prefer walking to driving is your best option on the Cape.

Well known gay community and you will see some things here that are not common in the rest of the state but have never let that deter me from enjoying the uniqueness of the town.

From Plymouth, it will take approx. 1 hour to reach Marconi Beach in Wellfleet ; you will have past Chatham to get that far. Provincetown is another 25 minutes or so beyond Wellfleet. These figures are based on no traffic which in mid to late Sept you can assume on most days.

Plymouth Plantation from downtown Boston should take 1 hour but traffic could easily tack on another 15 minutes and can occur any time or day for this stretch in both directions.

Mentioned in this post
Chatham
Chatham
Cape Cod, MA
Wellfleet
Wellfleet
Cape Cod, MA
Eastham
Eastham
Cape Cod, MA
Truro
Truro
Cape Cod, MA
Provincetown
Provincetown
Cape Cod, MA
Boston
Level Contributor
690 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

Have been to the Plantation a few times and really feel you don't need more than 3 hours there to cover everything. So as mentioned above leave Boston between 8 and 9 and you are good.

Stop for lunch in downtown Plymouth to briefly see the waterfront, Cabby Shack, Waterfront restaurant or East Bay Grille are all good options (less than 5 minute drive from the Plantation north on 3A) and from there head back south on Rt3 and over the Sagamore Bridge to reach the Cape.

Mentioned in this post
Plymouth
Plymouth
Massachusetts
Waterfront
Waterfront
1,668 Reviews
Boston, MA
Beaver, Utah
Level Contributor
90 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trip to Plymouth and Cape Cod

Thank You so much for all the advise. I have been having a hard time finding the time to do all the research I like to do, before a trip. You have helped save me some time! Thanks again. You may be hearing from me again! 6 week countdown is on