We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How should I get around?

Riverside...
9 posts
Save Topic
How should I get around?

I will be coming to the area August 21st-25th to get my son situated at Bentley University in Waltham, in the previous post I stated how we originally had plans to sightsee New York but due to unforeseen family emergency we were forced to cancel New York and stay local. My question is once I come in from Newark cuz that's where plane will take us how should I get around Boston / waltham should I rent a car or should we use public transport.? We also wanted to sightsee Boston & Salem and maybe do a ghost tour what would be my best bet as far as transportation I was thinking of renting a car any help would be appreciated thank you.

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How should I get around?

Waltham & Salem are easiest with car. For Boston consider parking at Alewife and riding the subway to the city. On weekends, consider driving into Boston

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
21,927 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How should I get around?

In your post on the Massachusetts forum, you asked about cheapest options to get from Newark to Boston. Since you will need a car anyway, check pricing for a one way car rental from Newark and drive yourself to the Boston area.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,510 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How should I get around?

You will need a car in Waltham especially if you are going to do the Bed Bath and Beyond thing. You do not need it or want it when in downtown Boston. You can easily get to Salem by commuter rail from Boston, but since you will have a car you may as well drive.

Boston
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How should I get around?

Getting around Boston, park your rental and take public transportation. Parking garage rates are expensive. Waltham and suburbs, rent a car. There's a ferry that u can take from Salem to Boston. Never done it, but always wanted to. There's other cruises around Boston harbor too that may be good. You could drive to Salem from Waltham and take ferry to Boston. That would be Rte. 128 to Rte. 114, takes u right to downtown Salem. Besides the ferry, u can definitely walk around Salem.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How should I get around?

Daughter a proud Bentley grad (undergrad and grad!). In your case I would opt for the car. Will make things easier in settling in. Where are your accommodations?

Riverside...
9 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How should I get around?

Dont even know yet had everything set for our nyc sightseeing trip now gotta make alternate plans like right away...we gotta be at Bentely by Sunday, so we were thinking sightseeing boston/salem area on friday and saturday

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,270 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How should I get around?

I would get a hotel in Waltham and commute to Salem one day and Boston the other. I went to Bentley as an undergrad commuter from Peabody (which borders on Salem). It is very doable. No sense on bouncing from one hotel to another.

8. Re: How should I get around?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2015, 06:16