We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
271 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

I have booked for 4 adults to take the North Eastern train from Back Bay to NY on Tue Sep 9, departing at 11.21am

After doing further research there is a suggestion that maybe we would be better taking a taxi from where we are staying in Beacon St to South Station if we wish to sit close together.

I chose Back Bay because it was only a 15min walk.

I know that we have to queue in line at South Stn, we each have a suitcase, but I wouldn't mind using a redcap.

Then on older posts some have said that only the early morning trains are crowded and that there would be no problems with seat choice at that time.

What do you guys think?

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

If you want to assure 4 seats together, then go to South Station. Nobody can know exactly what demand will be for your particular train, so the decision is up to you.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

Give Amtrak a call and see if they can change your origin station to South Station. It probably won't be a problem or an added charge, from my experience w/ Amtrak it all depends on which operator you get when you call. South Station will be easier since they announce the track 15 minutes before departure and as said you'll get seats together guaranteed. Lines aren't that long it's a quick boarding process there with or without a redcap.

Level Contributor
271 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

OK, I'll try online first, have checked re price and there is no difference.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
16,235 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

That we could have told you.

Hollis, New...
Level Contributor
4,669 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

I don't think you need to change your ticket--pretty sure you can just board at South Station with your Back Bay ticket.

Boston...
Level Contributor
6,984 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

Last time I took the train from Back Bay, there were a few rows blocked off by ribbons. After we left Westwood, the conductor removed the ribbons. I assume he was reserving rows for two or three people to sit together. I really don't think you'll have a problem getting on at Back Bay and sitting together. This was at about 9:30 a.m.

Boston
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

If you don't change your ticket and try to board at South Station they can technically deny you entry onto the train because your ticket says Back Bay. I think the chances of finding a conductor who would deny you entry are extremely remote but I asked Amtrak last year when I was in a similar situation because of a change in plans and that's what a couple workers told me.

Level Contributor
271 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

Yes, I won't take a chance on meeting a jobsworth, although I doubt that I would. We have much experience of train travel all over Europe and here in Ireland and have never yet met one.

I have just emailed Amtrak requesting a departure station change, strangely I can change much of the booking online with the exception of the dep and arr stns.

I'll post how I get on, many thks guys.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,062 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

We always board at South Station so we can get good seats.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,579 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train Back Bay vs South Station to New York

Another vote for South Station.

Yes, you could probably sit together getting on at Back Bay but it's a long ride to NYC and if you're counting on being together, imho, it's worth walking/taking the T to South Station.

Otherwise, just walk to Back Bay and be detached about it. The other issue people fret about it which side of the train to sit on. Left= waterfront views in CT. Right= cityscape views approaching.