We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boston Trip Report

Melbourne
Level Contributor
62 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Boston Trip Report

It feels like a million years ago, but back at the end of April I spent three nights in Boston as part of a month touring the USA. I loved Boston and I think it was one of my favourite destinations. I caught the train from Penn Station, which if I remember correctly took about 4 hours and was perfectly comfortable. I chose to stay at an airbnb (I know so many trip advisor people are very anti-airbnb but for me it was wonderful), and I was located not far from the Symphony. It was a short walk from where I got off the train at Back Bay. When I arrived I was just coming down with a cold and the weather in Boston matched. It was rainy and cold so my airbnb host recommended I go to MFA (Museum of Fine Arts) which was also within walking distance. It was superb! I adored my day at MFA. I tried to keep the trips to museums over the whole month to a minimum because I didn't want to be museumed-out, but I was glad I didn't miss the MFA. A highlight was the big new glass atrium in the middle of the building which was just a fabulous piece of architecture and a lovely mix of new and old. (The art was great too). I have no recollection of what I did that evening...

The next day I spent some time shopping at the Prudential Centre and wandering around Boylston St and Newberry St. I'd also spotted some food trucks and discovered an app for my iphone called Boston Street Food, which I was quickly very grateful for. My favourite food fruck was Fugu which did steamed buns with pork belly which were incredible. I walked through the Public Garden and Boston common which were both very pretty with the new spring blossoms opening.

That night I went to Fenway Park and watched an amazing game between the Red Sox and the Yankees. It was utterly incredible and I adored the atmosphere. I had no idea what was going on but everyone around was more than happy to tell me, and the hotdogs were awesome! I bought myself a redsox cap which I wore around a fair bit when I traveled further South. The strangest thing happened every time I wore it, strangers would talk to me! They'd comment on how they were a Redsox fan too, or something about the game, or "Oh you must be from Boston". It was like I was suddenly the member of a secret (or not so secret) club. I haven't worn it since I returned home but I do notice every single time I have seen someone wear one around here in Melbourne, Australia

The next day I went back to the Boston Common and did a walking tour. It was sunnier and slightly warmer but the cold wind made the tour a little unpleasant (but fine). It took me in the direction of the North End and I found an Italian restaurant there and had some pasta for lunch. After a bit more wandering around, I then got a cab to take me to the seafood/wharf area which looking at a map now, was probably Northern Avenue. I was in search of seafood and my dislike of chain restaurants took my to a little shack at the south end of the strip where I had some chowder and lobster mac and cheese. I adored it and it filled my need for warm comfort food in the freezing weather!

The next day the sun was well and truly out (my sign that departure was near) and I grabbed a cab to the airport and flew down to DC where I met an old friend for the weekend. Boston was wonderful and definitely one of my favourite parts of the US (Florida I could have bypassed all together….!)

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Boston Trip Report

Thanks for the report. I'm happy that you enjoyed the city despite your cold and the April weather. The MFA is a great place to explore.

North Shore, MA
Destination Expert
for Salem
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boston Trip Report

Glad you enjoyed Boston. I love the story of the Red Sox cap! Thanks for reporting back.

Boston
Level Contributor
6,674 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boston Trip Report

Thanks for the report. Glad you had a nice time. The secret club you joined is "Red Sox Nation."

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,447 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boston Trip Report

Sounds like you had a really nice few days! ( I think a lot of the anti-airbnb people are on the NYC board and not on the Boston boards; the reason being that short-term rentals are illegal in NYC and the posters on that board rightfully strongly discourage travellers from using that service in NYC).

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,398 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boston Trip Report

Thanks for sharing the details of your trip here!

Boston, MA
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
23,838 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boston Trip Report

Thanks for posting. Sorry the weather did not cooperate.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boston Trip Report

I don't believe that airBNB rentals are legal in Boston either for that matter. If you are renting out your home to strangers you are running a B&B and there are supposed to be rules for that, if the city chooses to enforce them...

Boston...
Destination Expert
for Killington
Level Contributor
2,081 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boston Trip Report

Hey, thanks for the report back! Sorry to hear about your cold. Great story about the hat. So... did you find any acceptable coffee? :o)

Boston...
Level Contributor
7,471 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Boston Trip Report

BeantownMan, the Boston City Council today is/was to discuss regulating Airbnb. I believe the idea is to license locations so a room tax can be assessed. As far as I know, it is not illegal in Boston, though short-term rentals may violate some rental agreements and condominium by-laws. I have a condo neighbor who rents a room in her unit but she maintains she has lots of "friends" visiting. So far she has been able to continue. She was working through a B and B agency but took her listing down though I think the agency offers her unit to people who inquire.

Boston...
Level Contributor
5,643 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boston Trip Report

Thanks for writing a report. I'm glad you enjoyed Boston so much.