We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need dining suggestions for Boston, Rockport or Gloucester

Atlanta
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Need dining suggestions for Boston, Rockport or Gloucester

My husband and I will be in the Boston area next weekend and need dining suggestions. We will be in Boston for a play one evening. Does anyone have a suggestion for an excellent dinner since it will be the only one I will have in Boston? Just looking for nice atmoshere, great food and wine. We like all different types of food, but lean a bit towards seafood.

We have one day to take a day trip up the coast. I would love to take some pictures, enjoy the ocean view, interesting shops and have lunch at someplace on the ocean. have heard nice things about Rockport or possibly Gloucester. Comments on these locations and any suggestions for a lunch spot? Thanks!

MA
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need dining suggestions for Boston, Rockport or Gloucester

Hello Zanabell,

If you are staying in Boston my pick would be for your Boston dinning experience would be:

www.mareorganic.com

Take a look at it and see if that’s what you are looking for.

There are a lot of great places here to enjoy.

As for your day trip north, I know Rockport and Gloucester pretty good. But I cannot really name a place to eat in those towns.

However, if you like steamers, lobsters and fried seafood and beer. Which I know its not the best thing for us try:

www.woodmans.com

it will defiantly give you a genuine taste of the region.

If you find yourself a little further north try:

www.mcperkinscove.com

I was recently down in your neck of the woods and found two great spots:

www.canoeatl.com The Canoe Restaurant

www.woodfiregrill.com The Wood Fire Grille

Well I hope this helps in some way, and that you enjoy your visit to Boston.

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,116 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need dining suggestions for Boston, Rockport or Gloucester

Hi,

If you want dinner before your show, and I assume your show is in the downtown Theater District, then some good options for you:

Pigalle: an outstanding French bistro, on Charles St., only two blocks from the theaters.

http://www.pigalleboston.com

Teatro: Excellent upscale Italian food, also close to the Theater district

http://www.teatroboston.com

For seafood, there are two chain places near the Theaters, Legal Seafoods and McCormick and Schmick's, which are across the street from each other in Park Plaza. Both are good, for chains, but of course, there's nothing particularly "Boston" about them, even if Legal is based here.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need dining suggestions for Boston, Rockport or Gloucester

Hi.

As for dining places in Rockport look no further than the Bearskin Neck section of Rockport. Easy to get to:take rte 128 to rte 127 until it ends in Bearskin Neck. If you look up the word "quaint" in the dictionary the definition reads "Bearskin Neck." Two great places on the Neck to dine : The Greenery ($$), and My Place By The Sea($$$). Enjoy!

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
791 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need dining suggestions for Boston, Rockport or Gloucester

My Place by the Sea is the "ONLY" place to go in Rockport for a special lunch. It has out-of -this-world good food, and if you're there on a nice day a table on the patio makes for a memorable setting too. Be forewarned, a single order of mussels is served in no less than a bucket! The Greenery and the Fish Shack are my choices for more everyday sorts of meals, with the Greenery serving breakfast until 4 PM daily. Between those two places, the Fish Shack's service is far superior - plus, more often than not the Greenery doesn't have a functioning bathroom. Save room for dessert at Helmut's Strudel.

One of these days I'll get off the train one stop sooner, in Gloucester, to check out some of the seafood restaurants there. Word is there are some excellent ones. But for scenery, poking into funky shops, and even a quirky sight (the Paper House), Rockport would be my destination when time's limited.

A good, upscale restaurant near Boston's Theater District which has thus far gone unmentioned is Locke-Ober (off Winter St, just east of Tremont.) The celebrity chef Lydia Shire bought and made over the "gentlemen's club" dating back to the 1880's a couple of years ago, and modernized the menu. Now it draws crowds. You might also want to consider one of the "scads" of North End restaurants, about which there's a lively rivalry as to which is the best of the best. You're guaranteed Italian cuisine, but not much more than that - specialties vary by restaurant, with candlelight and wine being about the only constants. Cab fare to the Theater District would then set you back only a small amount. Also, in the waterfront area (adjacent to the North End) is the Chart House. They're upscale and admittedly more than a little bit of a tourist destination, but you'll definitely eat well. I no longer recommend Legal Seafood; while it's still better than average, its evolution to an East Coast chain of restaurants has had a noticeable effect to those of us fans who go a long way back with them. Legal's or McCormick and Shmick? I'd flip a coin if the decision came down to one or the other of them. BTW they're each on the ground level of the Park Plaza hotel complex, minutes' walk from the theaters.

There's a wealth of dining choices in Boston, so give a shout if you need still more suggestions.

Beaufort, South...
Destination Expert
for Annapolis, Maryland
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
362 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need dining suggestions for Boston, Rockport or Gloucester

The good thing about most restaurants in Boston, is that they serve seafood. Some of the best I had was in the North End (little Italy), sizzling shrimp scampi, steamed mussels in wine and cream, stuffed lobster, and cioppino just to name a few. So just remember, even if the restaurant isn't a seafood house, you can eat marvelous fish and shellfish. Like the others said, stay away from places like Legal. Oh so overpriced for boring food.

6. Re: Need dining suggestions for Boston, Rockport or Gloucester

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 16:17