We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

Hi All,

I have a question for the local experts in Boston.

My parents (ages 55-60) are travelling on an East Coast tour that ends in Quincy Market.

From Quincy Market, they need to catch a Greyhound Bus that will take them to Washington DC.

I wanted to know what is the best way for them to commute from Quincy Market to Greyhound (700 Atlantic Ave).

Is the distance walkable? (They will have 2 cabin sized bags with them). They are pretty fit and can easily walk 20 mins without problems. If it is walkable, then is the area safe to travel walking at around 6-7pm.

If not, then what are the other alternatives they have. Can they hail local cabs outside Quincy market? Is there a regular cab stop close by where cabs can be hailed readily?

One final question would be, how is the New England Aquarium? Is it a good place for them to spend 1/2 day?

Let me know.

Thanks in advance for all the responses.

Trailblazer Tours Boston - Private Tours
City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Boston By Foot
Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
CityView Trolley Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

Hi,

It's very easy to hail a cab at Quincy Market, and I suggest they do that. Walking is possible, but it's not more than an $8.00 or so cab ride. Just walk out to any busy street surrounding the market and cabs are right there.

The Aquarium is excellent and quite nice. It would be easy to spend a 1/2 day there, if they like that sort of thing.

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

That was pretty quick :-) You are awesome.

Thanks for the tips. I have one more quick question.

Their tour ends at around 2pm and the Greyhound is for 8pm.

I want to make an itinerary for them for the 5 hrs they have to kill in between. (I am asking them to reach the Greyhound stn by 7pm).

I was thinking along the following lines.

At 2pm, walk over to the Aquarium. (I read online it is a 5 mins walk)

Spend time at the aquarium until 5 pm (when it closes on Thursday) or till the time they get bored.

At 5 pm walk back to the Market. Spend time in the market for 2 hrs and then catch the cab as suggested by you.

Is there any place at the market where they can stow their luggage between 2pm and pick it up at 7pm?

Quincy...
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,169 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

Hi,

I think if they want to arrive at the Greyhound terminal by 7pm, they need to hail the cab from Quincy Market by 6:30. That's just because it's never clear how bad traffic will be, and a 5 minute ride could easily take that long, if traffic is tied up.

Unfortunately, there's no place near Quincy Market, or near the Aquarium to stash luggage. Due to security issues, most of the lockers in the bus and train stations have been removed. I know it's a pain to carry it around, but I'm not sure what else they could do, unless they want to generously tip the bellhop at the Millenium Bostonian hotel across the street from Quincy Market, and maybe he'd agree to store the luggage?

3 hours in the Aquarium is fine, assuming they find it interesting and they like to take their time. Two hours at Quincy Market would be fine, too, especially if the weather is nice, they can shop, and maybe get a coffee and pastry and people-watch from a bench. Nearby is the New England Holocaust memorial, which is quite interesting to see. If they want, they can also take a tour of Faneuil Hall, although they'd have to get there before 5pm, so they'd have to cut the Aquarium short (by the way, it is only a 5 minute walk from Quincy Market).

One other idea, if the weather is nice, they could book a boat tour of Boston Harbor. The boats leave from next door to the Aquarium, and the tours are 60-90 minutes long. There's a quick tour of the inner harbor that's 60 minutes, which might be fun. They can check out the information at the Red building/ticket booth at the wharf next to the Aquarium.

California
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

Awesome. That answers all my questions.

I dont know how I can thank you enough.

But keep up the good work.

-deepak

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

I agree re: the cab ride. It's super short, but traffic around 6 can be terrible. They want the cab no later than 6:30. The bus terminal is huge and it might take them some time to find their bus.

The bus terminal is just down the street from the Boston Harbor Hotel, which is right near the Aquarium. The Boston Harbor Hotel has a gorgeous outdoor waterfont area and huge domed courtyard space. Beautiful. It's all walkable... if they decided to start walking in that direction (nice day, bags not too heavy), then that's another option.

Thanks to the 9/11 terrorists---no more luggage lockers anywhere... the hotel idea is a good one.

Boston
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

I'd add just a few more ideas to the already great ones here - I agree, a cab is definitely the way to go with luggage. Another place they might agree to store luggage for a few hours is the Boston Harbor Hotel - the beautiful arched building on the waterfront, a few buildings (to your right if you are facing the water) from the Aquarium. The Boston Harbor Hotel also has a nice casual restaurant outside on the harbor.

I think 3+ hours is a lot to spend at the aquarium, unless your parents like to really take their time OR they are big aquarium lovers. If they live in CA and have seen the aquariums out there, they might be less interested.

Also right in front of the aquarium, they can pick up a trolley tour of Boston, if there are historical sites, etc, they have not seen right in the city.

If they like to walk (and assuming they can find a place to stow the luggage), they could take a walk toward the water (by the aquarium) across the street from Faneuil Hall - as someone else said, if the weather permits, a harbor cruise is fun. There is also a waterfront walking path that they can pick up behind the Long Wharf Marriott (next door to the aquarium). From behind the Marriott, walk with the water on your right toward the North End (the historic Italian section of Boston) - there is a nice park and several outside restaurants right there. The North End is an interesting walk too.

If all else fails, there is a movie theatre not far from Fanueil Hall at 2 Avery Street.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,038 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

I concur with what everybody has said. I especially like the idea of taking the trolley tour,. That way they can get a view (and a feel) of the city. The trollies start right in front of the Aquarium. By the way, it's a 15 or 20 minute walk from Quincy Market to South Station, where the Bus Terminal is. The Aquarium is 5 minutes from Quincy Market and 5 minutes closer to South Station. The area is very safe. The luggage is the "killer". Asking at the hotels is a great idea. And there's a Marriott (Waterfront) right next to where the trolley tours start. Good luck.

boston, ma
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

Everything that's been discussed here is within easy walking distance, including South Station. The problem your parents will have is obviously the luggage. One possibility for them is to leave their bags at the South Station railroad terminal which has a staffed, checked baggage room. I think you can check bags there short term as well as for train trips, but it would be a good idea to make sure ahead of time. If that works, they could go directly to South Station by cab, get rid of their bags, walk back towards Quincy Market and spend the day baggage free. The rail and bus stations are next to each other and there is a direct pedestrian walkway between them.

9. Re: Travelling from Quincy Market to Greyhound Bus Station

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 01:18