We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for some great advice for a 2-day trip in early Nov.

Bergen County, NJ
Level Contributor
12 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Looking for some great advice for a 2-day trip in early Nov.

Hi everyone. I was last in Boston in January and I was on this site quite a bit since the advice and tips on hotels, restaurants and sites is always so good. So, any help would be greatly appreciated.

We (two of us), are either driving from NJ on Friday or flying into Logan on Saturday morning. In either event, we will be leaving Sunday, either mid-afternoon if we drive and early evening if we fly. I think we are going to stay at either the Ritz (not sure which one---but probably the one with the fireplace(s) or the Four Seasons). I hear, or rather read, that one of the Ritz is in a so-so location and the other is old and ehhh. I also hear that the Four Seasons is great. By the way, before I start with my question----we got a great deal on those hotels because a friend of mine gets discounts (i.e. approx. $250-$375 per night, depending on the size and view in the rooms). So, my question would be, which Ritz is better....and how does it compare to the Four Seasons? Secondly, does anyone have an opinion on either staying at a decent room at, let's say the Four Seasons, or a suite at a lesser hotel, i.e. Fairmount Copley or Jury's?

Also, since we will only be in Boston for 2 days max....any ideas on where to spend our time? Anything in Boston that "can't be missed?" Does the Duck tour operate in early November?

Any ideas on a good place for dinner? When we were last in Boston, we ate seafood at a hotel near Fenway. I do not remember the name of the restaurant or hotel....but the restaurant was great.

Any other tips/advice on anything else regarding Boston would be great. Thanks so much for any help.....

Boston...
13 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Looking for some great advice for a 2-day trip in early Nov.

Can't help you out on the hotel front, but you might enjoy a late night martini in the Oak Bar at the Copley.

I don't know about the Duck Tours, but you might consider one of the trolley tours of Boston (discoverboston.com or historictours.com/boston). The thing about these tours, is that you can get on and off the trolley to explore the various sights. Also, the weather will be chilly but not cold, and walking the "freedom trail" is a great way to see the sites (http://gonewengland.about.com/cs/bostonattractions/a/aafreedomtrail.htm this site gives a nice overview of what to expect). There is a red trail painted on the sidewalks that takes you to many of the not to be missed sites, and if you time it right, you can grab lunch in the North End. The beginning of the trail is near both the Ritz and the Four Seasons. If you are in Charlestown (Bunker Hill monument) either for lunch or dinner go to the Warren Tavern, (www.warrentavern.com) laid back, good food, fireplace, nice pub area. If you have lunch or dinner in the North End I would recommend either Euno, which has a fireplace in the downstairs dining area or Trattoria il Panino. Both have websites. Euno is more romantic. In the North End we had a bad experience at La Summa, so avoid! Also, go to Moderno Bakery to get wonderful italian goodies. Have fun!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Looking for some great advice for a 2-day trip in early Nov.

Another restaurant suggestion ... for dining on par with the hotels you're considering, you might also want to look into No. 9 Park. It's just off the Common, with an understated atmosphere, astoundingly good food, and impecable service.

3. Re: Looking for some great advice for a 2-day trip in early Nov.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 16:26