We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

train to hotel near prudential building

lin
England
Level Contributor
442 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
train to hotel near prudential building

we are due to arrive at about 3.30 on a Tuesday - beginning of Feb -and are wondering if it is an easy trip by public transport from the airport to our hotel...which is very close to the prudential building..whenever we do trips we always say we'll try public transport to our hotel but we always end up in a cab.....

we are in Boston for a five night break from England.....have been once before about 7 years ago when we stayed in Braintree and took the train in for just one very busy and tiring day before we set off on a trip to New York......really liked Boston and always said we'd go back........hubby loves the history..being Irish ..and knows he has ancestors out there somewhere

how compact is the city really..last time we stayed around the harbour ....we'd like to see more this time..we quite enjoy walking if the weather's not too bad, but would also like to go to Harvard/Cambridge for a look around that area as well

any comments would be appreciated

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
17,153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: train to hotel near prudential building

The easy stuff. Yes, the city is very compact. You can actually walk from "The Pru" to the Harbor in 45 minutes, I'm guessing. Of course, there's a lot of assumptions around speed, etc, but the bottom line is that it IS walkable. You can also take the "T" Green Line if you get tired.

From there, you would have to take the "T" to Harvard Square, which is on the Red Line. Hynes (or Pru) to Park Street and change to the Red Line going towards Alewife. You actually could walk to Cambridge from where you are, but near MIT. Harvard is much further.

Many of the Irish Pubs, as you probably learned last time, are centered around the Quincy Market Area. I can't even count how many, but if you play your cards right, you could probably eat in a different one for every meal.

Make sure you see the Potato Famine Memorial, if you haven't already. It's on the corner of School and Washington Streets. It's a little "hokey", but there may be some connection for you.

Oh, and what you asked for first. Sorry, but with luggage and everything, I would probably opt for taxt this time, too. If you really want to take the "T", take the the complimentary shuttle Bus outside the terminal marked "Subway". That will take you to the Blue Liune Airport Subway Station. Then take an "inbound" to Government Center and switch to the Green Line towards Copley Square. Depending on which train you get, exit at either "Prudential" or "Hynes Auditorium".

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,270 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: train to hotel near prudential building

The biggest question is how big our your bags? Check out www.mbta.com They have a cool new trip planning feature that is really well done. You would take the airport shuttle to the Blue line, Blue line to Government Center - Change to the Green line and head to the stop closest your hotel. My advice would be to hop a cab to your hotel. Get settled with your bags and than take advantage of the great T system for all your sight seeing needs.

YES Boston is Very walkable. Cambridge/Harvard is easy to get to by the T and the Back Bay area will be a nice change of view for you.

In addition to all the other great history, I advise you to take a Fenway park tour as it is a dying breed in the Greatest American pasttime.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
350 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: train to hotel near prudential building

I don't personally think a cab is worth it, but it depends on how used to public transportation you are and how much you want to drag your bags onto the bus.

Take the shuttle from the airport to the Blue Line and then the Blue Line to Gov't Center. From there, take the Green Line Outbound to your hotel.

IMO, the most difficult part if you have really heavy bags is getting them on the shuttle bus. After that, there are escalators. However, I never take a cab anywhere...

As others have said, the city is pretty compact, including Cambridge/Harvard. You don't say how long you will be here, but 4 days is enough time to see the major sights and longer is great for more leisurely strolls.

Welcome!

Boston
Level Contributor
381 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: train to hotel near prudential building

Two good Irish pubs: Kinsale at Government Ctr., Harp at North Station.

The #1 Bus runs the length of Mass Ave, so if you're at the Pru, you can take the bus from the Back Bay to Harvard Square. Just walk over to Mass Ave and jump on a Cambridge bound bus (It should say Harvard Square #1 as opposed to Dudley #1)

Have a great trip!

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World
Level Contributor
28,827 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: train to hotel near prudential building

I agree with the other post,however i dont know if you want to do a lot of walking,because next week its going to get cold,winter is finally here.

lin
England
Level Contributor
442 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: train to hotel near prudential building

thankyou everyone for your input....we probably will take a cab ....

we don't mind the cold too much...but we tend to avoid being out in the rain..as far as we can ( we get enough rain at home)...you can always put on an xtra layer if it's cold and dry.......

7. Re: train to hotel near prudential building

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 16:24