We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Boston!

Which Boston hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
55 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Boston!

I loved the city of Boston! I found the people especially friendly and the city very clean and safe (even for a single female traveler). I was there for a week which was mostly for work in the suburbs, but did get to spend 1.5 days in the downtown area. First of all, being from California, I didn't know what to expect for the weather, however I managed just fine. (We travel frequently to the mountains for skiing, so maybe that prepared me better.). However, I think I have a better understanding of "wind-chill factor" now. :)

I was brave (or stupid/stubborn) enough to walk about town on Friday afternoon seeing parts of the Freedom Trail (Faneuil Hall & Quincy Market),short walk down to the wharf, and enjoying the peaceful Boston Comm (I loved the park, even in the winter!). After dinner, took the elevator to the top (52nd floor) of the Prudential building and enjoyed a glass of wine at the "Top of the Hub" bar while listening to a jazz band and taking in the incredible view of city lights. I was amazed at how safe I felt walking about the Newbury area by myself at night (female traveller). There were enough people around earlier in the evening, but decided to take a cab back to the hotel.

Saturday, I visited the USS Constitution where the Navy gave us a short (free) tour (highly recommend visiting here!). Thought about walking up to Bunker hill, but was frozen solid from my walk over to US Constitution (from North End). So, I headed into town (via trolley) to see more of the Freedom trail in town (Old State House, Paul Revere's House and Old North Church) and then ducked into a cute little Italian Restaurant in the North End to thaw out (as I was pretty well frozen by this point). I then had about an hour left before my flight and decided it was best spent checking out the Cheers Bar. I wondered how touristy it was going to be, but I actually enjoyed it. The bartender was very friendly and met 2 other couples from CA (what are the odds...this time of year anyway). I very much enjoyed my time there.

Last but not least, I ended up choosing Jurys Hotel to stay since it seemed to be a good location for a female traveling (i.e. in a safe area). I couldn't have been happier with Jurys Hotel!!! They really deserve the top rating that they have on TA. I asked to be on a higher floor and was indeed on a high floor with a nice view. The hotel was located a few blocks from the shopping/restaurants of Newbury St and also very close to Boston Common. The staff was incredibly friendly (not like any other larger hotel I've been to in the States in fact). Every recommendation they made (for restaurants and travel tips) was right on the money. Being there only 1.5 days was better used by talking to them for time better spent (and their location).

I look forward to hopefully returning soon on perhaps a North Eastern trip without that work stuff to get in the way this time. Thanks again for your help here on the better/safer areas to stay in.

Norwood...
Level Contributor
1,269 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back from Boston!

Glad to hear you braved the cold to get to know our city. Sounds like you made some wonderful choices but there is a lot more for you to come back and see. Hope you get the chance to come visit us again soon.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,568 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back from Boston!

Glad you enjoyed yourself but come when its warmer perhaps May or summertime,like Chic says theres a lot more to see.

Boston
Destination Expert
for Boston
Level Contributor
6,309 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back from Boston!

Always good to get the feedback. Hope you journey this way again.

4. Re: Back from Boston!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2009, 02:19