We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To go or not to go TJ

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
To go or not to go TJ

Ok. My husband and I are taking our 3 almost grown children to San Diego this July. I am trying to talk him out of going over the border to TJ. Anybody want to back me up on this??

west
Level Contributor
1,462 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To go or not to go TJ

Total waste of time.

Unless you really want to purchase chiclets gum from one of the 200 little poverty-stricken children that will approach you with a sad face.

So Cal
Level Contributor
148 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: To go or not to go TJ

I have taken several relatives to Tijuana over the years and they have all enjoyed it. At the time I took them they were between the ages of 15 and 20.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To go or not to go TJ

I'd say go for it IF you have things you want to do or look for. Find restaurant reviews online before you go, as you can find some great seafood.

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To go or not to go TJ

i say skip it.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To go or not to go TJ

Well, if you do get stuck going, walk down the main street and find Sanborne's. They have some nice displays of native Mexican crafts and probably sell them, too.

Be aware that you are not REALLY in Mexico (grin), and unless you have extra time on your hands after seeing everything in and around San Diego, and having some beach time, I, personally would skip it.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To go or not to go TJ

I wouldn't go - TJ is not an enjoyable place, a typical border town. If you go further into Mexico, it's much nicer, but I hope to never to back to TJ. The last time we came across the border, we looked up going through customs to see cops with guns drawn all around us, Very scary - now you need your passports. I just can't think of a good reason to go. (Sorry)

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: To go or not to go TJ

You only need passports if you fly...walking should not be a problen until next year. That being said, I agree, there is more to do and see in SD...don't go.

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
36 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To go or not to go TJ

what about driving to rosarita beach?

Topanga, California
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To go or not to go TJ

winklebottom, here's an alternative:

Consider driving over to Tecate. It's a much more rural and, I think, interesting place than the poverty- and crime-driven Tijuana.

Santa Cruz...
Destination Expert
for Santa Cruz
Level Contributor
31,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To go or not to go TJ

There is a car insurance problem if you drive into Mexico. I wouldn't chance it without buying Mexican insurance at the border, and if you have a rental car, some of the companies will not allow you to cross the border with them.