We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

We will be staying at Marriott Marina for a week. We will not have a car during our stay. Could anyone recommend restaurants within walking distance? Is walking safe in this area? I'm looking for nice restaurants, casual restaurants, restaurants to possibly get a light meal...in other words, enough types to mix it up and not stick with the same type of food. Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

you will be right in the middle of seaport village and walking distance to the gaslamp district. there are enough places to eat so you able to have a different eating experience every meal.

riffsmom and others will give you the complete list of the names. check back, later.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

Your hotel is on the bayfront and near our downtown gaslamp district with literally TONS of restaurants of all kinds!!!

See:www.gaslamp.org for restaurants and menus

Next to your hotel there is also an outdoor mall called Seaport Village,with low key places as well.

Some of my personal favorites downtown are:

Dakota Grill

Croces(

Bandar(persian)

Dusssinis Mediterranean Bistro

I am sure others will chime in with their favorites as well. You can find every cuisine under the sun. I tis safe to walk around ,but like any city in the world ,keep your wits about you.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

You're lucky! Your hotel is within very close walking distance to Seaport Village. Seaport Village is a great place to walk along the harbor, and has both shops and restaurants in a nicely landscaped areas. It also is a stop for the Old Town Trolley, which will be very nice for you since your won't have a car.

There are different types of restauants at Seaport Village. My favorite is the Edgewater Grill, which is along the harbor walk and has wonderful food, good service and a pretty little flower-lined patio overlooking the harbor. The Chart House is another nice restaurant, centrally located within Seaport and has a great view. I did not especially enjoy the quality of the food there, though it's worth the experience. At the end of Seaport Village are some casual, sort of fast food places. My favorite is Marion's Fish Hut. You can get a fish platter there for a reasonable price and they also serve beer and wine. Next door to that is a Greek restaurant and a pizza place. There is also a Mexican place there and a hamburger place. There are outside tables either near a carousel or the harbor. A pleasant place to eat and people watch on a nice day. Also, in that same area of Seaport, is a very nice restaurant that sits over the water, The Pier Cafe. For this one, you may need reservations or you will have a wait. Also in Seaport Village is a Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream, a cookie stand, a great candy store (I love their huge chocolate covered strawberries), a bakery, and popcorn stands. All of those are on the end closest to the Marriott. Also, on that end is Buster's Beach House restaurant. I have heard that is unusual and good. It is said to have a Hawaiian influence.

www.seaportvillage.com/restaurants/index.php

You should be within walking distance of the Gaslamp area as well. That require some walking along city street. The area is safe and nice. There you wil find a variety of bars and restaurants and types of food. I have heard there are good ethnic restaurants there, but I haven't had the pleasure of visiting any yet. Others here will be able to elaborate more.

If you have a chance to visit the USS Midway, you may want to think about The Fish Market restaurant for great fresh seafood in a nice, yet casual, atmoshpere and an expansive view of the San Diego Bay. You would walk to towards the rear of the ship to get to it. Be aware, they do serve some fresh fish so it is a bit smelly when you first enter. You know, I'm thinking you could even walk from your hotel to get to this area because it is down the street from Seaport Village. It would be a long walk, but a nice one.

www.thefishmarket.com/locations_details.asp…

I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,259 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

Just a tip. When I stay in San Diego I usually bring a four pack of Cook's champagne and buy chocolate covered stawberries in Seaport Harbor to take back to the hotel. Then we relax in the room with champange and stawberries! You can buy the 4-packs and plastic champagne flutes at Beverages and More.

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

Redlands and Riffsmom - thanks so much for all these suggestions! My husband will be doing business all day long, so it's great to know about these options. I had no idea the hotel was so close to so many things!!

What about walking around by myself during day time? Is it safe? What about walking to these areas in evening with my husband?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,190 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

HI there, YOu might enjoy taking our great hop on hop off tour that stops right outside your hotel. See:www.trolleytours.com

It is a bus that was made to look like an old fashioned trolley and it will take you to many polaces where you can then spend as mluch or as little time a syou like. A g reat way to spend time if you are alone and have no transportation.

If you dont' do the tour you could stioo just take a bus to Balboa park SEEwww.balboapark.org

It is aobut 2miles.

Along the bayfront you will also find harbor tours, a passenger ferry that crosses the bay, the USS midway aircraft carrier etc.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

The area is very safe, you should be completely comfortable walking there during the day, and in the evening. I'm a 50-something woman, and don't have any concern walking alone in the area after dark, as long as you stay aware of your surroundings. You'll find lots of people, locals and tourists, out and about as well. I thought I'd add a couple of my restaurant recommendations:

Little Italy - about 6 blocks north of your hotel - Buon Appetito

Gaslamp District - Blue Point Coastal Cuisine - excellent food and great martini's (and another vote for both Croce's and Bandar)

Between Little Italy and Gaslamp - Extraordinary Desserts (for dessert)

At the neighboring hotel (Hyatt) - Sally's on the Water for dinner with a view, and the 40th floor "Top of the Hyatt" for drinks and a spectacular view

On Harbor Drive about 3 blocks from your hotel - Fish Market for great seafood

For breakfast - Cafe 222 - about 4 blocks from your hotel

SoCA
Level Contributor
41 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

Chissis has some great recommendations!

9. Re: Restaurants Near Marriott Marina?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 August 2009, 19:15