We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
231 reviews
Save Topic
Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

If this post is inappropriate, please let me know and I will ask for it to be removed.

Reading an article online this morning about the Hep A outbreak in San Diego, News 7 said that many tourists were not aware of the issue.

It now appears that some patrons of the The World Famous restaurant in Pacific Beach may have been exposed to a person with the Hep A virus. The dates are August 28, 29, and 30, September 3 and 4, and September 10 and 11. Times were between 3 p.m. and 11 p.m., except for the September 3 & 4 dates, when it was between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

nbcsandiego.com/news/health/Pacific-Beach-Re…

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
World Famous
World Famous
1,397 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,073 Reviews
San Diego, CA
34 replies to this topic
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

Good hand washing and getting the vaccine is always a good idea.

I think it is stupid that hepatitis A vaccine is only recommended for international travel for adults. It is on the recommmended schedule for kids but not needed for school. I have seen many outbreaks here in California in smaller scale. (I work in healthcare).

Mentioned in this post
California
California
United States
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,404 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

I have not heard of this outbreak at all myself!

I guess I am not watching much local news lately.

San Diego
Level Contributor
5,332 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

I got a breaking news email from one of the local TV stations about this. My husband was at World Famous for lunch with a friend on 8/29......I quizzed him on the time and he left by 2pm - so looks like he is outside the window for possible exposure.

This can happen any where of course. The restaurant closed and did some sort of cleaning by a professional cleaning team that deals with this type of exposure and the employee responsible has been removed from the restaurant.

nbcsandiego.com/news/health/Pacific-Beach-Re…

Mentioned in this post
World Famous
World Famous
1,397 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

Not to scare you all but there has been a huge outbreak in your county for a few months now. There is a link to the public health department in the original link:

sandiegocounty.gov/content/…Hepatitis_A.html

Mostly in the homeless and transient but making its way in the general community as well. We in healthcare have been getting regular updates from the state about this since early summer and we are seeing many cases here in the Bay Area as well - in our jail and Santa Cruz County for the most part.

But hepatitis A is a well known food borne illness and I have seen in in my career up and down the state - started my career in San Diego and moved my way up to LA and now back in the SF Bay Area.

Mentioned in this post
Santa Cruz
Santa Cruz
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Santa Monica, CA
Destination Expert
for Santa Monica
Level Contributor
21,458 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

I've been hearing about it daily all week. I'd be worried.

Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

I would not cancel anything if folks are heading to San Diego. Getting the vaccine though is a good idea. Hepatitis A has always been around and outbreaks happen. Hand hygiene.

I am reminded of the measles outbreak at Disneyland a few years ago.

Edited: 16 September 2017, 00:08
Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,680 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

I'd be more worried if they weren't able to identify the source of the outbreak.

I wouldn't worry... just get your Hep A Vaccine. For those in San Diego it's being offered free tomorrow (9-16) and Tuesday (9-19)

Locations: 9-16 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM at the North Central Public Health Center. 5055 Ruffin Rd. (by Hwy 15 and 805)

9-19 2:00 PM to 5:00 PM San Diego Central Library. 330 Park Blvd

Get your vaccine!!! Symptoms can take weeks to show up....

Dr. Z

Mentioned in this post
San Diego
San Diego
California
Del Mar, California
Level Contributor
9,019 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

I listen to KNX 1070 am radio often which is a 24 news radio station out of Los Angeles.

Earlier this week KNX mentioned Twice that their is a Hepatitis A outbreak in San Diego mostly affecting people who are living on the Streets. They reported that the city was going use a bleach solution and wash down the streets where their is a heavy homeless population.

Downtown, Little Italy, Bayside, and Hillcrest are some of the heaviest areas frequented by people living on the streets so I am assuming these areas will get their sidewalks washed down with the bleach solution.

According to Wikipedia Hepatitis A is commonly spread thru shellfish.

Edited: 16 September 2017, 00:37
Mentioned in this post
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
California
San Diego
San Diego
California
Little Italy
Little Italy
1,579 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Hillcrest
Hillcrest
130 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Santa Clara...
Level Contributor
23,705 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

Please read the health department information (linked above) about hepatitis A transmission rather than using Wiki. Again, hepatitis A has always been in circulation in the state at low level. Best way to keep yourselves healthy is to get the vaccine and good hand washing.

- a concerned medical professional...

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
13,680 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego

I have patients that come see me saying "I read on Wikipedia..." I usually interrupt them before they can finish and tell them to not read Wikipedia.

Although Hep A CAN be transmitted through shellfish, it is the fecal-oral route that spreads this virus. Shellfish, usually bivalves, filter water and if the water is contaminated then eating the raw product may cause virus transmission.

Hep A is primarily transmitted via food workers that do not practice proper hygiene. There are thousands of Hep A transmissions annually in the US. Get your vaccine!

Dr. Z

P.S. As my colleague mentioned in the post above.... :)

Edited: 16 September 2017, 00:51
Reply to: Hepatitis A Outbreak/Safe to Travel to San Diego
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted