We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in San Deigo

Australian Capital...
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Accommodation in San Deigo

Hi,

Starting to plan our trip for a week there next October 2018 we have 2 adults 2 children. Not sure were to stay????

We wont have a car but are relying on transfers from hotel or maybe Uber to get too seaworld etc..

Wanted to stay beach side but reviews are saying might be windy and still a bit cool early October so maybe looking now at the harbour???

2 Childrens ages are 14 and 9 Just wanting somewhere convenient really to walk too the restaurants and too get to the main attractions via taxi/uber/hotel transfer.

Any Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks Heaps

Jodie.B.

7 replies to this topic
San Diego
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
338 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in San Deigo

I'd check out Coronado, Pacific Beach, Mission Beach or the harbor/bay front hotels in downtown/Little Italy.

Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,070 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Little Italy
Little Italy
1,574 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,828 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in San Deigo

Do you have an idea of your nightly budget?

This thread was specifically about beachside hotels and may provide some useful information: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g60…

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,300 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in San Deigo

Early October can still be summery here. It is certainly too far in advance to know the weather for sure. Without a car staying in downtown near the harbor would be more convenient. Most hotels do not offer shuttles/transfers to activities.

For a family I'd think you might want the sort of extra space offered by the Homewood suites/by Hilton or the Residence Inns by Marriott.

There are new ones along the bayfront at the harbor downtown.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
57,883 posts
431 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in San Deigo

Jodie B, welcome to the forums.

If you could update your profile to reflect where you are from. That will effect their answers.

Also, nightly budget in U.S. dollars will help and an overall idea of your itinerary. My guess is based on your inability to spell "harbor" (I jest) is that you are from the UK or Australia. Don't be put off about renting a car; lots of right hand drivers do drive in the U.S. and find it a lot easier than they imagined. Renting a car also opens up areas that we will recommend someone stays.

I think the best weather in So Cal is the last two weeks of Sept, first two weeks of Oct. The beach is great, uncrowded and the ocean warm enough to swim without a wetsuit.

Without knowing the things people have asked about, I'll throw out Coronado, Pacific Beach, La Jolla Shore and Downtown San Diego (Marina District or Columbia) in that order. See the maps below of Downtown San Diego neighborhoods and relation to other areas.

sdpmanagement.com/images/Downtown-San-Diego-…

https://goo.gl/maps/GTAZxerhwVz

Edited: 19 September 2017, 16:09
Mentioned in this post
Coronado
Coronado
California
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,070 Reviews
San Diego, CA
La Jolla
La Jolla
San Diego, CA
San Diego
San Diego
California
Australian Capital...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in San Deigo

Thanks Heaps everyone!

Yes Scott I am from Australia...

I think we will look at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay Marina as that seems central to everything and has a 2BRM Tower family suite.

Edited: 20 September 2017, 06:32
Mentioned in this post
Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
Hyatt Regency Mission Bay
3,809 Reviews
San Diego, CA
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
66,300 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in San Deigo

The Hyatt is fine but to get to restaurants other than those in the hotel you'd need to walk or Uber/Lyft about 1 mile towards the ocean.

I will be interested to hear how the Uber/Lyft pricing and convenience works out from that location. It will help us to offer advice to other visitors who don't want to have their own cars.

Australian Capital...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation in San Deigo

Thanks Riff, That makes me change my mind being a bit far from restaurants etc.....

and reading that we will still have great weather (hopefully) the first 2 weeks of October I am going to do a complete back flip and maybe stay beach side now.... i would like to ask what about Pacific Terrace Pacific Beach? Seems good reviews and photos.

My budget is 250-500 per night (5Nights) I really wanted a 2brm suite rather than 2 beds side by side so this narrows down a few...

Still do not think we will be driving so how do we get to the attractions? Uber? and also if we choose Pacific beach Terrace is that walking distance to any other restaurants besides the hotels?

Thanks again

Mentioned in this post
Pacific Terrace Hotel
Pacific Terrace Hotel
2,188 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Pacific Beach
Pacific Beach
1,070 Reviews
San Diego, CA
Reply to: Accommodation in San Deigo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted