We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!

Family of five (2 adults, 3 teens) will be booking 2 rooms at the Catamaran Resort between Christmas and New Years. Need recommendations please! Are the tower rooms worth the extra cost? Ocean view side or Bay side? Any input appreciated!

8 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,348 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!

Hi,

You may have to call them as I don't remember the room numbers but there are 2 rooms in a 2 story building facing the bay where they share 1 nice long balcony. We stayed in one of them several years ago and were lucky that the 2nd room was UNoccupied at the time.

That would be ideal for your situation.

You can see the ocean and the bay from many of the tower rooms.

Have you looked at the bayside suites?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,348 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!

Hi,

I just called the Cat to see what room I mean.

They have turned the room we stayed in 505 into a 2 bedroom suite so in order to book that specifically you'd need to call them to see if they have availability for your dates.

You could not book it specifically on the web site.

I don't know prices.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!

Thank you so much. Do you have any activity recommendations?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,348 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!

Hi,

There are tons of activities/sights of all sorts.

I don't know your family or their interests.

Normal sightseeing would include Balboa Park and the zoo .

www.balboapark.org

The USS Midway aircraft carrier and/or the Maritime Museum with its ships.

whale watching cruises or bay cruises

Cabrillo National Monument for views and Ca history and tide pools at low tide

Old Town State Park

If you have an active group there is walking/hiking at Torrey Pines State Reserve

bikes/skate rentals through Mission Bay Park and the nearby beaches

water toys like wave runners/paddle boats, sea kayak tours

Then during Christmas week there the college football Holiday Bowl and the Holiday Bowl parade.

There's live theater at the Old Globe in Balboa Park

IF I haven't hit anything of interest to you let me know what other sorts of things you'd like to experience.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!

Your input is greatly appreciated! The Catamaran sounds lovely, but we are now considering switching to a hotel in Liberty Station or downtown to be closer to all the activities your beautiful city has to offer! Thoughts?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,348 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!

Will you have a car?

It is only about a 15-20 min drive from the Cat to anywhere I have mentioned.

Liberty Station would be fine too. Just not the same beachy atmosphere. Homewood Suites/Liberty station is ideal for families with included cooked bkfst and evening happy hour. There are lots of other family friendly restaurants there in walking distance and supermarket as well.

I forgot to mention some other specific Christmassy ideas to you.

The Hotel del Coronado will have ice skating by the ocean.

There's the Grinch that Stole Christmas live theater at the Old Globe and A Christmas Carol live theater in Old Town.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!

We are planning on using public transportation, (light rail, busses, hoho trolley) to make the trip more of an adventure, but are open to renting a car if it is necessary. Since we have a week, what do you think about splitting our time between a downtown hotel that will "wow" our kids and be close to the harbor activities, Balboa park and the zoo, and then moving to the Cat for better proximity to calmer activities like Coronado, Torrey Pines and La Jolla?

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,348 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!

Our light rail doesn't go to most of the places you want to visit so you'd be using buses and perhaps the ho ho tour.

The other way to get around which is very popular is to use the apps on your phone to call Lyft or Uber cars.

The average local here drives almost everywhere as the transit system is mostly buses which are quite slow.

If you'd like to change hotels during your week that's just fine but Liberty Station is neither downtown nor on a beach so sort of in the middle between those 2 possibilities.

Reply to: Need help choosing Catamaran Resort rooms please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted