We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

I'm interested in visiting Boomerang for Modern store (mid-century furniture) at 2040 India Street.

Does anyone know how big this store is? How much furniture do they have?

Also, I'll be using public transportation (bus or my feet) to get me there. What is this area like? Is it safe?

Thanks.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

The area is on the northern edge of Little Italy (downtown) so should be completely safe. I'll be down in the area tomorrow at a client's office and will walk by and let you know how big the store is, and what they have.

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

Chissis - Thanks so much! If this is a tiny store, with only a few pieces of furniture, I might not visit. On the other hand, if in your opinion it looks great, I'll definately make the trip! I love mid-century modern furniture and I'm coming from North Carolina, so this could be the highlight of my trip.

You guys are so helpful on the San Diego forum. I know I'll have a good trip with all this great insight.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

I hope wintersummer does not mind my piggybacking her post. I am headed to SD for a class and am also interested in midcentury modern furniture and architecture and am watching your advice on her post. I also would like to find out if there are any landmark homes from this era in SD, (on the order of the Eames House in Santa Monica), and where in SD would you look for architect-designed mid-century California-modern homes.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,819 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

I found this web site by googling-mid century modern/san diego

http://www.modernsandiego.com/splash.html

I have not heard of this particular style and am learning more each day on this site about sooo mnay things!!

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

jimjade...no problem getting in here...it's exciting when you find other people who share an interest. Riff'smon - I'm glad that you're getting into this style of design and have shared the web site. I'll take a look.

jimjade - do you know other places in US that sell original mid-century pieces? In particular, I'm looking for a credenza made by someone with the name "wormley" - or something like that. I guess I should get the name straight as I set off looking for my credenza!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

Jimjade - you DEFINITELY need to checkout the building at 3200 Sixth Avenue, right across the street from Balboa Park. I toured them when they went on sale a couple years ago, and although it's not my favorite style (I'm more of a arts and crafts type person), it was beautiful and fascinating. None of the facades are the same, and it's really fun to stand in front and look at these buildings.

signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050501/news_m…

Level Contributor
1,439 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

Chissis - You mentioned that you style is arts and crafts...actually, most of my house is either arts and crafts + mid-century modern. I like both styles because they have a basic simplicity. Do you know of any good arts and crafts furniture stores? I just returned from a trip to Tucson and visited the Firestone Gallery. They had beautiful original Stickley pieces. Way, way out my price range, but nice to admire!

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

I love the arts & crafts style - but my current townhouse is 1990's modern, and I'm getting really antsy to move back downtown into a bungalow or cottage after 7 years in the suburbs surrounded by boring architecture and cookie-cutter yards. Safe and comfortable, just not "my" style, and not very interesting.

You might also checkout the antique stores in the Ocean Beach neighborhood, just northwest of the airport, as I saw a lot of mid-century furnishings last time I was there. And, it's an interesting area unique to San Diego; I'm sure there is a bus that will get you there from downtown or Old Town. It's worth an exploration.

As far as Arts and Crafts, the only store that I'm aware of is in Solana Beach - it's called Craftsman Revival, and they have some gorgeous things. Stickley is awesome, and among my favorites, although a friend bought some dining room chairs from an Amish store in Pennslyvania and I've never seen such beautiful wood! I'll post back tomorrow evening regarding the store in Little Italy - I'm looking foward to having a destination for my lunch hour, instead of just wandering aimlessly as I usually do.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,326 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

WinterSummer , I have on my list for SD a visit to Marston House, apparently an old mansion furnished in arts and crafts style, at 3525 7th avenue near Balboa Park, tours Fri, Sat, Sun on the hour 11-3. $5. Looks pretty nice.

Escondido...
Level Contributor
115 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Boomerang for Modern Store - What's Store and Area Like?

For mid-century modern fans, try a road trip from San Diego out to Palm Springs. Not just for the furniture and home furnishings stores, but it's also a great place to see real homes, hotels, and other buildings from the 40's-60's that have been maintained in their original style.