We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good Hotel in the SD Area

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Good Hotel in the SD Area

My partner and I are planning a week's vacation in the San Diego area in early/mid-February, 2018. We'd prefer to stay outside the city -- Encinitas? Del Mar?; we are open to location suggestions.

After searching hotels on Trip Advisor for the past hour, I am very discouraged. It seems many "luxury" hotels can turn out to be tired and dank; high prices reflect proximity to the beach more than the quality of the lodging.

We are willing to pay $300 - $400 a night. Can anyone suggest a clean, quiet comfortable hotel near the beach? We'll have a car and need parking, preferably not at an additional fee. We don't need a golf course or even a swimming pool. Or, should we give up the idea of being near the beach?

All ideas welcome! Many thanks.

16 replies to this topic
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,280 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good Hotel in the SD Area

Hi,

In winter you could easily drive to our beaches and park easily for free.

We don't have many hotels right at the beaches since all are public areas.

Many luxury hotels are built away from the ocean since beachfront property is rare and also high priced. I doubt if you will find a luxury property with free parking. The higher star rated the hotel , the more you have to pay for every extra amenity! 3*** motels are most likely to have free parking and perhaps free breakfast.

With that said, not sure where you have already looked?

L'Auberge in Del Mar is walking distance to beach and shops and restaurants.

Fairmount Grand del Mar is luxury but not at a beach.

The same is true of the Park Hyatt Aviara and the Omni La Costa and Rancho Valencia.

You are correct that closeness to the ocean makes for higher prices although February is off season at our beaches and prices are lower than in summer.

Any particular reason you want to be outside the city??

We are not like any of the cities you may know back east.

We are more like the Connecticutt towns near Westchester County , NY or the towns out on Long Island .

Our "city beaches" feel like those suburban towns so that staying at the north end of Pacific Beach at Tower 23 or the Pacific Terrace Hotel may be more of what you seek.

OR maybe on Coronado which is across San Diego Bay from downtown and is a separate city with a small town feel? Have you looked at the Hotel del Coronado or the Loews Coronado or even the Pier South Resort by Marriott?

Edited: 13 December 2017, 21:30
San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,280 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good Hotel in the SD Area

Hotel del and Pier South are on the sand at local beaches.

Pier South is extremely modern.

Hotel del has many different types of rooms so if you read reviews pay attention to the room type being reviewed.

Del Mar, California
Level Contributor
9,226 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good Hotel in the SD Area

Hotel Indigo Del Mar and L'Auberge Del Mar are TWO of the nicer hotels along the coast in Del Mar.

Hotel Indigo has Free Parking and No Resort Fee which is a rarity these days. This hotel is set back about 2 short blocks from the beach. Beach access from this hotel is about 3/4 of a mile away.

L'Auberge Is only about a 200 feet walk away from the water/sand. This hotel is a 4 1/2 star luxury hotel.

Both hotels are within walking distance to eateries and cafes.

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good Hotel in the SD Area

Many thanks; each of these responses gives me some new, much appreciated leads.

If I were to stay in Coronado, how much traffic trouble would I encounter trying to get through the city and up the coast to the north for some sightseeing? Would it be difficult to navigate?

What's your rush hour like? Here in CT were are essentially bumper to bumper on all the interstates for 2-3 hours both morning and late afternoon.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,280 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Good Hotel in the SD Area

Hi,

Traffic here is predictable.

Leaving Coronado in the AM the traffic is going the other way into Coronado.

Going north through downtown in the AM you will miss traffic if you leave your hotel at about 9-9:30. Going south from the north county(north of Del Mar) you will hit traffic at about 4PM.

IF you let us know where you think you'd like to go we can be more specific. Sometimes the traffic on local streets(with traffic lights) takes longer than the freeways.

Also we drive faster here . Our speed limit is 65 and most of the time if you do 72 folks will be passing you.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,280 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good Hotel in the SD Area

Just to add, the drive over the bridge into downtown is barely 15min.

If you don't feel like driving there's always Uber/Lyft and the passenger ferry + hop on hop off tour or city bus. It is not like staying far away from anything.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,835 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good Hotel in the SD Area

$300-400 will get you "nice" not necessarily "luxury". The Pier South Hotel, might be an exception.

I'd also look at the La Jolla Shores Hotel.

On Coronado I don't consider the Marriott Coronado or Glorietta Bay Hotel luxury, but still very nice properties.

If you want to drive north you don't want to be on the freeway very long anyway. I'd get off the 5 Freeway no later than Genesee Ave and take the coast highway (many different names) north. See the map below.

https://goo.gl/maps/hk3TnpabN6w

Connecticut, USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Good Hotel in the SD Area

What do you think of the La Valencia in La Jolla? The reviews are pretty good and they are offering an early booking promo rate. There's a resort fee but it includes in/out parking in a garage.

La Jolla Shores looks promising, too, but it sounds like mostly a family spot. Not looking for that; looking for quiet! Thanks --

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
67,280 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Good Hotel in the SD Area

Make sure you have a room facing the pool/ocean side and not the main street side for La Valencia.

La Jolla Shores is one of our gorgeous beaches! I'd expect it to be very quiet despite the fact that families may stay there.

Corona del Mar...
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
58,835 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Good Hotel in the SD Area

The La Valencia is an old San Diego classic hotel, nicer than the La Jolla Shores, but I'd choose the La Jolla Shores because I want to be on the beach.

Reply to: Good Hotel in the SD Area
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted