We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Diego to Palm Springs - Day Trip

Toronto
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Topic
San Diego to Palm Springs - Day Trip

Hi,

Have been considering a day trip to Palm Springs from Oceanside. We (hubby and I) will be travelling with two small children and grandparents. What is the best route to take and once we get there, what's best to do in the one day?

Thanks in advance!

Toronto
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Day Trip

Oops, forgot to mention that we'll be travelling either June 29 or 30

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,045 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Day Trip

We have never "done" PalmSprings as a day trip. Usually we go there to spend at least a weekend.It is about 2hrs in each direction from SanDiego so I guess for you it would be at least 1 1/2 hrs. There is a tram up from the desert into the mts. that is fun. We also go hiking in the Indian Canyons but not with very young ones or very old ones. I guess while I am writing this I realize that I just don't think it's a very good idea.Sorry !Maybe others will come up with something fo ryou.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Day Trip

palm springs as a day trip can be done quite easly. i've gone at night for dinner and back.

what to do is the tram as riffsmom suggested. once at the top , you will be able to walk along the trails.

there is palm springs desert museum-www.psmuseum.com. and the aquq caliente cultural museum-www.accmuseum.org.

then i go here for dinner, and yes it was worth the drive that night. .... livreri's italian restaurant, 350 s. indian canyan road.-760-836-1500.

enjoy.

San Marcos, CA
Level Contributor
260 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Day Trip

I'm with riffsmom that it's not that great of an idea...it is REALLY hot there in the summer, so most people just lounge at the pool all day until it's cool enough to go out and walk around. Beyond golf and spas, there isn't much else to do there. Is there a particular reason for the journey?

Toronto
Level Contributor
104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Day Trip

Thanks for your responses. We just thought it might be a nice day trip to go to Palm Springs but if it's just too hot during the day, maybe not such a good idea. If we take the tram into the mountains, I assume it's cooler up there, and more comfortable. Maybe we'll try that.

thanks again!

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Day Trip

Just returned from a San Diego/Palm Springs trip. It would certainly be hot there the end of June. It was about 90 a couple of the days we were there. The tram was amazing and would be an escape from the heat. It is fairly expensive ($23 a person I think it was) but it was worth it in my opinion. When we went up the temp in the valley was about 85 but at the top it was at least 30 degrees cooler. There are some great short hikes on the "back side" of the mountain through the pine forest and the view is amazing although a little hazy. Other than that I didn't think there was a whole lot of things for kids to do. There is the Living Desert Zoo and Gardens and a Children's museum but I dont think they would compare to other zoo's or museums.

When we left Palm Springs we drove directly to Oceanside via I-10, hwy 60, I-215, and then hwy 76. This I believe is the quickest route. From SD up to PS we took the back roads through Julian and the mountains and this was a great drive.

I would think a day trip to PS for just the tram and dinner would be worth it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Day Trip

The tram is a worthwhile trip. I have included a link to the tram website with dining options. There are 2 restaurants on top of the mountain. The one that we have done was the cafeteria style. It has great views of the valley floor down below. It was not a bad meal and you can buy a package to include both the tram ticket and dinner. Meals are served after 3pm so you will have to do a little trip planning for this option.

It will be about 30 degrees cooler on the mountain. No sandels or open toed shoes if you plan on a little hiking at the top. I would recommend tennis shoes at a minimum. The main tram building is on an elevated ledge at the top so in order to get to the hiking trails in the back, you must go down a gently slopeing (sp?) walkway to get to a small valley. Once there, there is a fairly flat 1 mile trail around the area that is nice. You just have to remember that you will have to climb back up the walkway at the end. This part can be a little strenuous so make sure the little ones and the grandparents are up to it.

Have a great trip, here is the link

http://www.pstramway.com/dining-food.asp

By the way, if you have a small pair of binoculars, bring them.

8. Re: San Diego to Palm Springs - Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 09:16