We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2-3 days to spend in san diego....where should we stay?

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Topic
2-3 days to spend in san diego....where should we stay?

hi...i wanted to know if someone could help me figure out where is should stay for a short visit in san diego. it will be my husband, our 1.5 yr old and myself. we are flying into san diego late nov. 1st and leaving for hawaii early nov 4th. we really have all day fri and sat to sightsee. we want to see the san diego zoo and sea world..not sure what else to see or if we will have time....any suggestions?

neither one of us have ever been to san diego so we do not know where to stay. we dont want to break the bank and try to stay under $200 night but dont want a dump either. if anyone can make suggestion i would greatly appreciate it.

there are so many nice ares to be in ...shelter island, mission valley, coronado...just dont know which is the best for our needs.

thanks

mina

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2-3 days to spend in san diego....where should we stay?

You should decide whether you are going to rent a car (which I would recommend). If you are not going to rent a car, I would recommend that you stay downtown or Old Town where public transportation is best.

If you rent a car, you might prefer a motel that has free and easy parking, perhaps in Old Town or Hotel Circle which have a number of motels that offer free parking (although some charge). I am hesitant to recommend any particular hotel as I have no personal knowledge. Instead I would look at the TA reviews written by actual guests of these hotels:

tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g60750-San_Diego_Cali…

woodbridge,nj
Level Contributor
345 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 2-3 days to spend in san diego....where should we stay?

we will definately rent a car. i don't like the feeling of being stranded without a vehicle.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2-3 days to spend in san diego....where should we stay?

The airport is really very close to many areas with hotels.

With a rental car ,and in Nov(not our high season) you should be able to find rates under$200. For a pretty view and a quiet relaxed atmosphere you might try Shelter Island (not really an island) there's the Bay Club9in a 2nd floor room) Humphrey's and the BestWesternIsland Palms(I think the least expensive.)there's also the Balbaopark inn which is right across the street fromBalboa Park in a quiet residential neighborhood. You might get a suite thereor at the Glorietta Bay Inn on Coronado.

If you decide NOT to rent a car then you could stay perhaps at the Holiday Inn SanDiego on thebay which is directly across form the cruise terminal. They have a free shuttle from the airport and to the zoo. there's also the Porto Vista Hotel which is very inexpensive and is newyl built. it is just north of the main downtown area in our little italy neighborhod but it has a free shuttle to all the places you'd like to visit.

Remember there are other things to do besides the animal parks.

Spokane Washington
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2-3 days to spend in san diego....where should we stay?

We spent the first week of this month in San Diego. This site was extremely helpful in our planning because we had never been to San Diego. We stayed at the LaQuinta in Old Town and rented a car. It was $117 a night. We had a rental car that I highly recommend. Everything was so close. We visited Old Town and Zoo too. Loved Coyote Cafe in Old Town! Recommend purchasing the deluxe package at the Zoo. That way you can ride the bus around the zoo first to view everything. Makes it easier to see what you want to go back to. Had a great time!

Randolph NJ
Level Contributor
398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2-3 days to spend in san diego....where should we stay?

I agree with Riffsmom. We just returned from SD with the kids and really enjoyed staying in Shelter Island because of it's easy proximity to everything and it's very pretty too with views of San Diego harbor and lots of boats etc. It's between 5-10 mins to anywhere in the city. It's 15 mins to Sea World and 20 to la Jolla or Coronado. It also has a nice feel to it (very safe, surrounded by Marinas and boats and great views. We loved the proximity and being so close to the city but not in it. The Shelter Island hotels are not newer hotels, but they seem to be very clean and family oriented.

Have fun!

SanDiego
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2-3 days to spend in san diego....where should we stay?

Mina,

Some mentioned staying at Shelter Island, and another good idea about that is that they have a lovely children's beach there, shallow water, no waves. Other beaches can have strong rip currents, so be careful. Shelter Island is mellow, great views of downtown, next to Harbor Island (which is RIGHT across from the airport), and near downtown, the Zoo, and Seaworld. The zoo and Seaworld will each probably take a full day to see, Shelter or Harbor Island is a good central place to relax and easily catch your flight to Hawaii. Humphrey's Half Moon Inn is on Shelter Island, Sheraton and Hilton (I think--used to be a Travelodge) are on Harbor Island. Enjoy!

Marie in SD

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
654 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2-3 days to spend in san diego....where should we stay?

I would try paradise point. It is right across the street from Seaworld and is the best family hotel around. Try and get a bayside room so you are right on the water.

Here is the website, check it out.

http://paradisepoint.com/

There are ducks all over the property and when my son was two he just wanted to feed the ducks all day long.

8. Re: 2-3 days to spend in san diego....where should we stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 06:22