We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st visit to Sand Diego

Vancouver BC
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
1st visit to Sand Diego

My hubby and I are going to San Diego on Saturday for 1 week. We have the weekend together to sightsee (have Seaworld planned for Sunday). During the week he will be working, but I still want to shop, sightsee, visit a beach or two, eat, etc. (safety is concern?). I will have car.

We are in our 50's like fun and aventure and good food. Any recommendations for our time together and my time alone? Must sees? Is Seaworld a good choice for Sunday?

Thanks in advance for your help!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,963 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st visit to Sand Diego

I do no think you need to worry about safety any more than you worry at home. Wherever you go there will be tons of people like you so no worries. I don't know where you are staying but if you dont want to drive you could take the hop on hop off tour.See:www.trolleytours.com

I think BalbaoPark is a must see. There are tons of small museumsof all kinds and several different lovely gardens. There is a great restaurant called the Prado and if you want a lighter meal there is food to buy at the Japanese gardens. See:www.balboapark.org

Along the waterfront onSanDiegoBay there are ships to visit like the USS Midway aircraft carrier and th eStar fo India. Let me know where yoaure staying and waht youlike to do and I can make fruther suggestions. Sadly you may find the weather cloudy as we often have coastal clouds at this time of year. Today of course it is sunny.

La Jolla, California
Destination Expert
for La Jolla
Level Contributor
2,881 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st visit to Sand Diego

Seaworld is OK for Sunday. Keep in mind that the tourist season has started, and it will be crowded, but if you start early, you will avoid the crowds.

For your time alone, La Jolla and Coronado would be good places to explore for beaches, sightseeing, window shopping, eating. Hotel Del Coronado has some interesting history. For some adventure, kayaking the La Jolla Cove might be an option, or rent a bike for the day. For some light hiking, try Torrey Pines State Park just north of La Jolla. Balboa Park is wonderful with its museums and gardens.

I also recommend walking the UCSD campus to see the open air art collection displayed throughout the campus.

Downtown is another good place for shopping and eating. Downtown has more homeless people, which might be a bit uncomfortable for some people, but I walk downtown all the time, and never have any trouble. Walk along the Embarcadero to see the tree sculptures, have some lunch in Little Italy, check out touristy Sea Port Village, the Gaslamp District, and the new neighborhoods around Petco Park. Also check out Hillcrest for some good food.

San Diego is generally safe. Just make sure you don't leave any valuables in your car.

Randolph NJ
Level Contributor
398 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st visit to Sand Diego

Definitely check out the Hotel Del. Awesome grounds and historic victorian hotel on one of the best beaches in San Diego (Marilyn Monroe filmed Some Like it Hot there). You'll have a lot of fun walking around the hotel and Coronado. On the back side of the hotel they have a great ice cream place, or you can hang out and have a drink and they have a great brunch too. You can end up on the beach there. Very nice to see - our family loved it.

Also if you go to La Jolla on the weekend, check out the glider port if you want to go see some hang gliders or para-gliders. That's fun if you've never seen that before. And I agree with the kayaking in La Jolla - that's fun if you like kayaking.

When you are alone go check out Old Town - neat thing to do.

SeaWorld is great but it might be crowded on the weekend. I'd recommend Coronado for one of the weekend days. And if you like history you can hit the USS Midway aircraft carrier on the harbor before you go to Coronado.

You could probably hit Sea World in the AM, hit the highlights (Shamu show, dolphin show etc.) and then go north to La Jolla. It will be a packed day but you can certainly find some great places for dinner in La Jolla.

Have fun!

Murrieta, California
Level Contributor
69 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st visit to Sand Diego

SeaWorld is good for kids...

I love to go to Seaport Village which has lots and lots of shops and restaurants, it's a great place to people watch & you can do it alone without feeling lonely.

Horton Plaza is a big beautiful open mall in downtown S.D. The gaslamp district is the place to go for any type of food you can imagine and drinks with good music of all types. It is THE place to be at night.

You would benefit by taking a tour of S.D. when you first get here, that way you'll learn of places that you wouldn't otherwise know about and you have plenty of time to go back to it. Old Town S.D. is interesting. Near Old Town is a local favorite called Perry's Cafe 4610 Pacific Hwy, San Diego, CA 92110 · 619-291-7121 They have GREAT breakfasts! Kansas City BBQ is located near the convention center at 610 W Market St San Diego, CA 92101

(619) 231-9680 and has really good bbq - be sure to try their onion rings. The bar scene from Top Gun was filmed here.

Definitely go over to the Hotel Del Coronado. The drive across the bridge offers great views of the bay and Coronado is a beautiful place.

If you are baseball fans, check out a game at Petco Park which is a new stadium for the Padres that the taxpayers bought.

Have a great time in San Diego - you'll love it! ~ Liz

New York
Level Contributor
161 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st visit to Sand Diego

I would definitely go to the Hotel Del Coronado. They have a really nice beach there. You can have lunch at the hotel. The Seaport Village downtown is also nice. I don't think you have to worry about safety.

6. Re: 1st visit to Sand Diego

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 22:17