We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kansas City Barbeque - "NOT" a family restuarant

Southwest
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Kansas City Barbeque - "NOT" a family restuarant

The Kansas City Barbeque at 610 West Market Street across the intersection from the Seaport Village is NOT your Father's Barbeque!

Beware this 'restuarant' was more of a bar, tavern, saloon than a restaraunt. The patio tables were quite dirty and the food was NOT all that great. Maybe after a quick guzzle of beers, the food would taste better.

I am sure as far as with alcohol, mixed with blood, sweat, and urine, before or after a baseball game, this is a wonderful location --- not the food though.

We went on a Sunday, May 27th at 5:00 p.m. yet there wasn't a line to get in either.

I came across the advertisement in the brochure, "101 things to do in San Diego" where KC was voted a top place to eat for 5 years in a row! FALSE ADVERTISEMENT - and the internet advertisement was not even close (yet I didn't know there was such a site).

My point is don't believe everything being advertised in San Diego travel recreation brochres as being reputable and/or legitimate. The ads again represent what is being paid to 'say' not 'what is being practiced'.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear this establishment is on the San Diego Counties Poor/Failed Food Inspection list. Does anybody know?

San Diego
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Kansas City Barbeque - "NOT" a family restuarant

Always check and see what the health department rating is. The establishment is required to post a sign in the front window that shows if it got an "A" rating or not. In college I got beers at a place with a "B" rating, but would now walk out of any establishment with a "B" posting. I've seen a "C" once, yes we left.

Kansas City BBQ is a tourist trap. People who saw Top Gun want to check it out. I've been there once and never went back. It may have been good at some point. If you want good BBQ in San Diego you'll have to dig, and most are off the tourist track. Huffman's comes to mind, Phil's has a new location in the Sporta Arena area that I have yet to try but it's getting good reviews.

Sorry you had such a bad experience. But I'm really not that surprised.

Hope the rest of your meals are better.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kansas City Barbeque - "NOT" a family restuarant

my 2 cents.............. you just described the reasons why the "sleazy bar scene" from TOP GUN was filmed there !!!!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kansas City Barbeque - "NOT" a family restuarant

Being a “surface sailor”, I would never eat where a bunch of aviators hung out anyway!!!

I agree with Kat about Huffman’s BBQ, but either go during the day or pack a weapon at night. They call that particular intersection the “four corners of death.” I’ve been there at least 10 times, but mostly during daylight hours.

Ne
Level Contributor
156 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kansas City Barbeque - "NOT" a family restuarant

If it's still there try L&L BBQ in Mira Mesa at the mall and than the bakery right across from it for dessert.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
124 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kansas City Barbeque - "NOT" a family restuarant

Wow, if only there was a forum or something where people could ask other people where to eat, stay, or go and get honest opinions before they travel?!?!

Oh wait a moment...

;-)

Maine
Level Contributor
756 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kansas City Barbeque - "NOT" a family restuarant

WE ate at the Phil's BBQ Sports Arena location twice last month and absolutely loved it. We could smell it from far down the street and just followed our noises to some great BBQ. It is a very good casual atmosphere, where you stand in line to place your order rather than be waited upon at the table. When your food is up they call your number and you go get it. This makes things a little quicker and a little cheaper (no tip to be left).

7. Re: Kansas City Barbeque - "NOT" a family restuarant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 September 2009, 18:17