We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sos ucsd for one day

connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
sos ucsd for one day

My daughter and I are arriving in San Diego Airport on August 1 and need to get to USCD then to Hotel Occidental in San Diego. Tour starts at 11:30 so we should be done by 4.

we leave to UC Santa Barbara in the morning of the 2nd.

- if it's best to drive or just take train from airport to us san diego then to hotel and santa barbara or easier to rent a car?

- what do you reccomend as far as renting car? pick uo at airport?

- if you reccomend public transp please let me know details. I am clueless

- Any suggetsions on what to do after finishing college tour? ( we have just that evening)

- Any feedback on Hotel Occidental?

Thanks in advance!

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,411 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sos ucsd for one day

For your tight schedule and the area which you have to cover, then I would pick up the car at the airport.

You should visit the area around UCSD, La Jolla and the UTC shopping center to get a feel of life in that area.

After that, you have booked a hotel near the Balboa Park so you might want to have a look since it is so beautiful. For dinner, either choose the Gaslamp District which is close to your hotel in the downtown or any one of the nice restaurants in Hillcrest which is,also closeby.

I have never stayed at the Occidental, but I did read the reviews and the public showers are not to my taste, but it looks like the patrons didn't have a problem with them.

Enjoy!!

connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: sos ucsd for one day

txs ricardoBA! helpful tips. yes i've been reading about balboa park and that's where we'll go. i will take your advise on restaurants since we will be starving by dinner time!

i thought about the showers too but it's only one day...and the price is right and looks clean. we'll splurge a little bit in LA.

have you driven from san diego to santa barbara? how far? how bad?

ivadiva

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,266 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sos ucsd for one day

There is NO train that goes from the airport to UCSD. You should pick up a rental car at the airport and drive. It will take about 20min (maybe 15). It is an easy drive but the campus is very large and they should give you a map and tell you where to park and meet for the tour.

The hotel Occidental is a very inexpensive "European style"(some shared bathrooms)hotel near BalboaPark . You can drive down there and park on the street near the hotel.Then you can walk around in the park.

You will hit a lot of traffic driving from SanDiego to SantaBarbara. The traffic is mainly around LA and its airport but can be anywhere along the route. Expect the drive to take about 5hrs and if it's less then you will be lucky.

There is a train that goes from SanDiego to SantaBarbara(and back to LA) but then you would need a taxi or car to get from the station to the UCSantaBarbara campus.

See:www.amtrak.com/california for train info

connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sos ucsd for one day

so, the only option would be renting a car to get from airport to ucsd? what about cab? i will only be in san diego 1 day

what a boomer that san diego to santa barbara is about 5 hrs drive!

that means i would have to rent and return car in san diego and then rent again in santa barbara...

thanxs again

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sos ucsd for one day

are you flying out of San Diego too?

connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: sos ucsd for one day

this is my itinerary so far:

arriving in san diego aug 1

going to santa barbara aug 2

going to LA aug 3

departing from long beach aug 5 to oakland

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,266 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sos ucsd for one day

iva you doNOT have to rent the car 2 times!!! Rent it one time and drive it for you rWHOLE trip!! then return the car at the airport before you fly to Oakland. You can go more than one place in the rental car. it doesNOT have to stay in the city where you start renting.

connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sos ucsd for one day

the only reason why i was thinking this is because another member told me it was 5 hrs to santa barbara and i freaked out!! :)

that means i will get very little sleep on the night of the 1st. i have to be in santa barbara on aug 2 sometime before 12.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,266 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sos ucsd for one day

iva,here is alink to one of our community colleges where they explain about residency requirements.

…cc.ca.us/admissions/residency.cfm

connecticut
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: sos ucsd for one day

txs again! i bookmarked the page. i won't worry too much about this now. first the trip to visit colleges, get aquainted with the area, and hoepfully soak a little sun.

my next step now is renting the car. ( with gps) i figured i pick it up at SD airport and start our journey. i am not going to change hotel or flight resevrations. if things get tight i always have ( saturday) to tour the campus at UCLA.

so to re cap and tell me honestly if this sounds too crazy:

wed 1- arrive in san diego airport and visit ucsd, check in hotel occidental.

thu 2 - leave to santa barbara in the AM and visit ucsb ( last tour is at 2 pm ),

fri 3 - LA - ucla ( 12 pm tour)

sat 4 - loyola ? .or just relax....

sun 5 - departing from long beach to oakland to do our south california toiurs!

have a nice day