We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

fish tacos

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
toronto
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
fish tacos

i have had a lot of mexican food, in mexico city and elsewhere in mexico, as well as in canada and the US. however, i hadnt heard of fish tacos until the mentions on this forum.

what are they, exactly? how is the fish prepared, and what type/s of fish is used? are they tex mex? are they usually main course, or apps? any other ingredients, other than fish and taco shells? soft or hard tacos, or either? i take it they can be found at many restaurants in san diego, but what about tijuana?

thx

California
Level Contributor
101 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: fish tacos

I don't know what kind of fish they use, but it's usually grilled or charboiled, etc. Lots of yummy spices. On a corn tortilla. You can eat it just like regular beef/chicken tacos as a meal. They put lettuce, tomatoe, etc. if you want. It depends which restaurant you go to. Try Rubio's Baja Fresh or Baja Fresh or any of the real authentic Mexican restaurants.

I don't remember hearing about fish tacos in TJ, but it's been a few years. Last time I was there, you could buy beef tacos at the market for $.25.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: fish tacos

Rubio's are excellent - main course there - several restaurants have them, some on the appetizer menus. My favorite is still Rubio's

http://www.rubios.com/menu-fish-tacos.html

The recipe (let's you know what's in them)

http://www.recipeland.com/recipe/20014/

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: fish tacos

It's usually a very white fish, sole, sometimes Cod. It's deep fried, with a thick batter (ala fish and chips), on a corn tortilla. Usually inside is cabbage and a white "crema" sauce, usually topped off by squeezing a lime on top. From what I understand, they originated in Baja California. You can find them at just about any Mexican restaurant here in San Diego. Rubios ain't bad, but find yourself a little hole in the wall place...it's a most delicious experience.

Thanks, now im hungry!

Tucson
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: fish tacos

The only place I've found that I really like them is Rubio's ...but I think it has alot to do with the sauce they use. I just visited San Diego not long ago, I live in Tucson, and they sell them everywhere here too. So it must be a southwestern thing.

toronto
Level Contributor
354 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: fish tacos

thx for the info. we will definitely try some in september. we are not big on deep fried, so would prefer the fish to be grilled. and yeah...its lunch time, and i wish i could have a fish taco now!

is there any other mexican food, or any type of food that is native to san diego or california...on the must-try list?

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: fish tacos

...and there's a Rubio's in Terminal One of the airport. I'd never heard of it but might give it a try now before we fly out of there on our way back out to San Francisco.

southcarolina
Level Contributor
704 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: fish tacos

Oh you are making my mouth water. The first time I ever had a fish taco was down in Mexico about 15 years ago. The places I would buy them would be in Rosarito or Puerto Nuevo (hope I spelled these correctly). I always felt fish was the safest thing to eat down there. Still to this day some of the best fish I have ever have ate was down in Puerto Nuevo, and on their fish tacos they use cabbage instead of lettuce. Also what I understand is that the person who owns Rubio's first tasted a fish taco down there and then brought them back across the border and now is a very wealty man.....oh if only I had done that instead of him :o) Now back here is SC anytime I mention fish tacos they all look at me as if I was crazy.

San Diego, Ca
Level Contributor
181 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: fish tacos

I'll chime in and put a word in for a couple of other places that have tasty fish tacos: Fins and Baja Fresh. Of course, both of these and Rubios are "chains"--there are scores of hole-in-the-wall places all over San Diego that have great seafood-based tacos and burritos, not to mention the more traditional versions.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
899 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: fish tacos

For grilled fish tacos: wahoo's fish tacos. Yuuuuuummmmm

LA/OC
Level Contributor
1,087 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: fish tacos

Double Trouble,

Fish tacos is considered to be of the nuevo (new) latino palate for Westerners. In Latin Central, South and the Carribean, they are called Marisscos or Pescados on the menu. Fish tacos are cooked 2 different ways, either by deep fry with a batter of some kind like pancake batter or else, or cooked via grill style. The healthier is cooked by grill, either open flame like bar-be-que way or on a flat hot-iron grill. Fish tacos can be presented to be eaten either as a hard shell or soft shell (baby burrito) shell. The condiments that are usually served up and eaten with fish tacos are salsa, sour cream, guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, etc... There's an array fo fish that cooks use to make this inexpensive dish. The orgin of fish tacos came from leftovers re-created and served. The fish used are usually cod, whitefish, mahimahi, snapper and flounder. (Rubio's and Wahoo's are 2 good examples of retail restaurants that serve it up for us Westerners. The local Latinos cook and serve it up differently.) I hope this helps... Enjoy...

Vicki...

(gourmet chef)