We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Henryville...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Topic
Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

ok, experts- if you have been to both Seaworlds, is there a big difference? we went to the one in Orlando 4 years ago, and it was so humid we nearly died, but it was fun. i was wondering if this one is bigger and better b/c it is near the bay/ocean. any thoughts? if it's not different than Orlando, we probably won't go. thanks.

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
651 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

It's the original. It's near the bay. In my opinion, the original is almost always better than the copy. Plus it is usually not that humid here.

Henryville...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

thanks. i guess i am asking if it is bigger, has more attractions..

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,640 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

I have not been to both so I went to the web site and read about the 2 parks to compare them.It appears that the rides and shows are different. You might take a look at the web sit eto see for yoursefl. IF you decide to skip SeaWorld here, you will still have a great visit.I always tell people that unlike Orlando and anaheim, SanDiego is a city with more to see and do than the theme/animal parks.

Henryville...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

thanks

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
640 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

We were at Sea World SD on Tuesday (8/21) we had a wonderful time; however this location is not about rides, so if that’s what you are looking for Orlando is way better. The SD Sea World has Journey to Atlantis (which was out of service the day we were there) and a river rafting ride (1 hour wait the day we were there) that was it for rides other than a motion simulator ride and a 4-D show.

We loved the Shamu show, the dolphin show and the sea lion comedy show. Also, the rescued Baby Sea Otter (Abby) was on display with her caregiver near the Sea Otter display. Another surprisingly fun show was Pet's Rule, average house pets (primarily Dogs and Cats) performing skits and stunts with their trainers (VERY CUTE).

All in all I would say SD Sea World is a fantastic day, but you can't really compare it to Orlando which is so much larger and offers more attractions. They are 2 different types of places.

Gorham, Maine
Level Contributor
640 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

I forgot to mention in my previous post there are 2 additional rides - SkyTower and Sky Ride, the tower goes up way over the park and I suspect that you get fantastic views, the Sky Ride is a cable type ride that goes across the park, we didn't do either ride as we can't stand being nickled and dimed, neither ride was included in the $57 admission price. The fact that they charged extra for rides in a park with so few rides already was a turn-off.

Henryville...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

thanks- i can't ride rides, so that is fine. just wanted to know if it was worth seeing, since we have already done the Seaworld thing in Fl. So do you think it is much different? i know there are some behind the scenes stuff you can buy for much more $$$ but i don't think we would do those. i just don't want to see the exact same stuff we saw 4 years ago. i liked Seaworld, but not enough to pay that much to see it again, unless it has different things, different attractions.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

Having been to both I would say that it was less humid and uncomfortable to walk around in SD than FL. Of course it gets hot in SD but without the frighful humidity IMHO.

FL seemed to have a more theme park element to it.

We sprung for the b/fast with Shamu in SD (had dinner with the delightful mammal in FL) and we did the Animal Spotlight Tour in SD. If I had to choose just one of those I would go with the behind the scenes tour rather than the dining with an enormous sea creature:o).

Depends on your level of interest. My then 11-yr-old was big on all things marine at the time so he enjoyed petting dolphins and feeding moray eels. He'd already swum with dolphins at Discovery Cove in FL previously.

Of course you could think about the Wild Animal Park but that also depends on your interest in these things, how long you are in SD and if you want to make the journey out there.

ebabe

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

Of course if you are heading towards La Jolla you might enjoy the Birch Aquarium at Scripps for a change of pace.

http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/Plan_a_Visit/

Henryville...
Level Contributor
198 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Seaworld in SD better than Orlando?

Thanks. we have heard from some local friends that SD is not as good as Orlando Seaworld, which shocked me, so we will not be going to SW in SD. we plan to do the Zoo and the wild animal park. i am sure we can entertain ourselves with the beach and SD all around us.