We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

John Pennekamp state park at Key Largo Florida. Other than Hawaii that's it folks no matter what they tell you.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

what about lou key. I have dove pennekamp and it doesn't come close to lou key.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,220 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

That's true. Idont know why people expect coral in SanDiego. It is found in tropical waters.We are NOT a tropical destination. Our weather is considered to be Mediterranean,very moderate.

Lewiston, California
Level Contributor
9,609 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

Your arguing with the wrong guy Manlan. That's what the Florida's park department states so argue with them.

Tulsa, OK
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

I didn't realize I was arguing with you but ok

I dove Looe key out from bahia honda (seven mile bridge on the s side of it)

www.floridakeys.com/lowerkeys/looekey.htm

The reef at Looe Key, roughly 200 yards wide and 800 yards long is generally “U” shaped, and is comprised of both patch and outside reefs. It became a National Marine Sanctuary in 1981 due, in part, to the success of the Key Largo Sanctuary created in 1975. This “sanctuary” designation means that there are absolute restrictions on spearfishing, tropical fish and shell collecting and wire fish traps. Marine police patrol the reef and keep a close eye on activities there.

Because of its unique shape and varying depths, Looe Key is an excellent SCUBA and snorkeling site for people of all skill levels. Get Your Florida Keys Diving DVD. Click Here!Water clarity is mostly excellent and sea conditions are generally moderate. The reef is home to over 150 species of fish including yellowtail, angelfish, parrotfish, barracuda, sergeant majors, and moray eel. The lucky diver can also see several shark and ray species. After 7000 years of coral growth, about fifty species are present, many named for the shapes of their namesakes on land. These corals include staghorn, elkhorn, star, brain, and fire corals.

San Diego, Ca.
Level Contributor
651 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

Am I missinng something here? What does this have to do with San Diego?

San Diego
Level Contributor
2,269 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

I've been wondering that myself!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
4,027 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

it has to do with a couple of posters complaining about the snorkeling because there was no coral.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

I vaguely remembered reading something about corals in the Channel Islands in one of the tourguides when we visited Catalina Island last year. So I did some researh on the internet.

I find it hard to believe but there apparently are coral reefs offshore in Southern California, around the Channel Islands, including Catalina Island (less than 30 miles from LA County). They are not the South Pacific or Caribbean white corals people expect but they exist. Although you could argue that the Channel Islands are considered continental US.

Here are the links:

www.visitlongbeach.com/catalina-island.html

www.ecodivecenter.com/content.php?id=330

Still find it hard to believe.

Tracy

San Diego...
Level Contributor
224 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

By the way, if you believe that there are coral reefs in Catalina Island (that's what the websites say, I am not totally convinced) then it can be relevant to San Diego. You can do a day trip to Catalina from San Diego (1.5hr drive from downtown San Diego to Dana Point Harbor, then 1.5hr ferry ride); or you can travel in style and get a helicopter for 20 minutes ride).

Tracy

Fox Island...
Level Contributor
610 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: NO CORAL IN Continental US Except at

There are deep water corals off the coast of WA state and our water is much colder than CA. Check this link: …wordpress.com/2006/…

It's possible there is coral in CA. Obviously snorkelers can't see our coral but it does show coral can live in cold water.