We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

Best Western Lamplighter

or

Holiday Inn Old Town?

We are in town two days, going to see Sea World one day, and the zoo the other...

want a hotel that is good value, safe and located for ease of seeing these two properties.

Lamplighter is about $20 extra a night... why choose one over the other, they are rated very similarly with BW beating our Holiday Inn by a couple ratings.... both have parking/breakfast and pools.

Thanks for your help in this :) would rather use the extra $$ to help supplement a car rental.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

The Lamplighter is near San Diego State University in a business area. It is not near any tourist attractions and would be about a half-hour drive to tourist areas. For proximity to Sea World, Zoo, etc the Holiday Inn would be a better choice.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

Agree with the above. Lamplighter is on 64th and El Cajon Blvd (not rhe best of areas). Go with Old Town.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
19,964 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

Are you coming in September? Because I noticed on the Holiday Inn Old Town's website a note that said some rooms are being remodeled in September 2007.

I checked the rates on my favorite, the Crowne Plaza San Diego, Mission Valley. It's on Hotel Circle North, near the 8 freeway and is centrally located by car to Sea World and the San Diego Zoo, as well as downtown San Diego and Old Town. I've stayed there 11 times.

I plugged in next Saturday's date and then a couple of weekday dates for both of the hotels. The Crowne Plaza is comparable on the weekend date and actually cheaper on the weekdays. I checked for Best Available Rate as well as AAA Auto Club rates. I know that the auto club also has affiliates in foreign countries that have the partnership with the American AAA Auto Club, so checked just in case.

The Crowne Plaza San Diego is tropical themed, with a restaurant on site and a complimentary shuttle that travels a three mile radius, so you won't have to drive to Sea World or Old Town if you don't want to - but you need to drive to the zoo/Balboa Park and downtown. You can also take the trolley. The rooms and the restaurant were just renovated. Renovations were finished in May. Guest rooms have new beds that are very comfortable and a "Sleep Advantage" system - relaxing CD, CD player by the bed, lavendar spray and ear plugs or eye mask.

This hotel is not within walking distance to anything. However, it does have it's own restaurant, coffee/sandwitch counter, sushi bar, and lounge. It's got a nice relaxed feeling to it. In order not to view the freeway from your room you need to request a room below the 4th floor. The upper floors of the back side of the hotel look out over a golf course, but I think the pool view is nicer because of the nice landscaping and the hills on the other side of the freeway. The "Leisure" rooms are the nicer ones. If you have any questions about this hotel, free free to ask me. I have a review on my profile page.

www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/sancp

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

wow, thanks everyone, lots of great info to work with. Appreciate the time you took to reply back.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

by the way, we are coming in on a cruise... so, not sure where the terminals are located.... think we should rent a car, we are driving to Los Angeles on Saturday morning early... so that being said, where are those three hotels located in terms of the terminal, sea world and Zoo?

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

Holiday Inn Old Town is the best location for everything you want.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

The cruise ship terminal is right downtown. The closest well-priced hotels would be the Porto Vista, La Pensione, Best Western Bayside, and Holiday Inn on the Bay. It's a great area to stay - nothing wrong with Old Town either, it's just not quite as close to the cruise terminal.

Burlington, Ontario
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

Cooper, there is a special on the Holiday Inn on Travelzoo, that might make up your mind

9. Re: worth the extra money to stay at either of these hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 September 2009, 03:19