We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fires in CA need info

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Topic
Fires in CA need info

My cousin just arrived yesterday in San Diego. They are staying at Hotel Del Cornado for the week. Does anyone know if this area is being effected by the fires / smoke?

Any info would be appreciated. I live in PA so I am not totally familiar with where all the cities are & how close they are to each other.

san diego...
Level Contributor
594 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fires in CA need info

the hotel del is very far from the fires. the air quality should be bad over there but they are right next to the ocean, and trust me for that hotel the firefighters wiill do everything possible to save it. just so you know, hotel del is on coronado island (which is basically the last place that willl burn) and right on the beach. sorry that your cousin came at such a bad time. we are all very worried here, but dont worry she should be okay. best wishes and prayers go out

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fires in CA need info

Thank you for the information I really appreciate it.

I know of the Del but wasn't aware it was on an island - if I was in Diego I'd be staying at the Holiday Inn not the Del... LOL In any case thanks for easing my mind.

What crappy timing- but what can ya do. My honeymoon was during hurricane George in '98 when we were in Barbados so I guess it runs in the family.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fires in CA need info

My cousin just arrived yesterday in San Diego. They are staying at Hotel Del Cornado for the week. Does anyone know if this area is being effected by the fires / smoke?

Any info would be appreciated. I live in PA so I am not totally familiar with where all the cities are & how close they are to each other.>>

I'm sorry too that she came at this time. 7 fires buring badly in San Diego. I work on Coronado and live in downtown SD. The air quality is bad. I'm afraid that it's going to affect her movements here. That is all that's on the news here. No TV programming, just news coverage of the fires. She's in a good place at the Hotel Del.

Baltimore
Level Contributor
361 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fires in CA need info

Are this fires around the area of the zoo? (sorry easiest place for me to find on google maps)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
1,811 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fires in CA need info

No fires in any area around the zoo. The Wild Animal Park in Escondido has been evacuated down to about 30 essential personnel (normally 500 work there).

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
22,164 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fires in CA need info

Posted on: 4:07 pm, today Save

Are this fires around the area of the zoo? (sorry easiest place for me to find on google maps)>>>

No, not really. The zoo is close to downtown. The fires are about 20 miles away and some farther. There are just so many of them. The sky is dark and heavy. The smell is bad. I feel sorry for Riffsmom and Chissis because it's much worse for them. I just stepped out on my terrace. The glass door and windows are covered in soot. I know so many people who have been evacuated. The Gov is on TV right now. He came to SD.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,577 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fires in CA need info

Someone posted a link for the San Diego NBC affliliate's live stream in this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60750-i41-k152511…

So for those of you not in San Diego at this time, you should be able to follow the news.

I can't access that because if my connection. Can anyone tell me if Children's Hospital (Scripps) would be anywhere near one of the fires? Also, Mission Valley is not affected at all is it?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
64 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fires in CA need info

I hope all of you are & continue to stay safe. I pray nothing gets too close that it effects your homes or health. The news coverage back here is so prominent I can't even imagine the coverage that you guys are seeing. I saw the SD Humane Society is getting pretty filled. I am a huge animal love & I pray for their safety as well.

9. Re: Fires in CA need info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 06:19