We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying to San Deigo Best Way TO Get Around

BUCKEYE STATE
1 post
Save Topic
Flying to San Deigo Best Way TO Get Around

Flying to San deigo International. Thinking about staying at Mission Valley Resort,875 Hotel Circle South. Would like to know if it is possible to get there from airport without renting car and best way to get there. Is there any transit system nearby to get us downtown.

Is ther any good resturants near to resort. any information would be appreciated.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying to San Deigo Best Way TO Get Around

You can get to some Mission Valley hotels using the (light rail) trolley, but not the Mission Valley Resort. The trolley is on the "other" side of interstate 8 from your hotel. It's always prefereable in San Diego to rent a car because the city is large, and the public transportation is minimal. We have some buses, a relatively good trolley for downtown, Old Town, and some ares of Mission Valley, but in all honesty, it's a pretty mediocre system unless you're staying right downtown (or the other side of Mission Valley)

Your hotel is in a rather inconvenient area for public transportation, but you could walk about a half mile to catch a bus, or about a mile to catch the trolley on the other side of Mission Valley. It's definitely not a pedestrian friendly area where you are planning to stay, and not at all convenient for public transit. There are several restaurants in the area, including many near Fashion Valley mall, about a mile away. if you rent a car, then you have a lot more choices, and I think you would be much happier with your visit.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,136 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying to San Deigo Best Way TO Get Around

Any special reason why you picked that hotel? We DO have a small lightrail transit system and buses . The system does not equally serve the whole city. The area of your hotel has many low cost hotels and freeways so it is not particularly scenic. There are some restaurants in walking distance. You will have to walk under the freeway and a bit farther to the transit station near the FashionValley Mall. There is also probably a bus to use.

See:http://transit.511sd.com/ for public transportation planning.

IF you'd like to consider other hotels then let us know when you are coming and your price range and we can make further suggestions.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,923 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying to San Deigo Best Way TO Get Around

Hi riffsmom

I would like your suggestion of a good hotel choice, in a NICE area, close enough to get to airport, seaworld and ZOO with good size rooms for family of four. its only 2 nights, so suite not necessary, but as long as room is large enough with two beds. We are driving from Anaheim to San Diego on 26th March for 2 nights until 28th March, and plan to do Seaworld one day , zoo the other with maybe some time for other things as well each day?

Not too fussed, moderate pricing, your thoughts appreciated.

travel agent suggested Handelry Hotel?

I only booked flights with them, doing my research and booking my own accomodation, way cheaper and better options!

thanks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
149 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying to San Deigo Best Way TO Get Around

Hi Redover--Raised in San Diego county--must say i would reconsider my idea of not renting a car. California is enormous and the places in San Diego ---apart from a cluster of restaurants etc.. in immediate downtown gaslamp district---are far apart. It is a car state, not like NY where the idea of transit is logical. There are too many financial centers in San Diego alone for any one transit system to cover. If you want to see San Diego and its wonderful attractions, do rent a car.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
63,136 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying to San Deigo Best Way TO Get Around

blondelinda-The Handlery is on e of the fairly inexpensive hotels in the same Mission Valley/Hotel Circle area where the Mission Valley Resort, first mentioned above, is located. It is central but not scenic.

Again, knowing YOUR price range would be helpful .

Why don't you start another thread with that info so we can give you info specific to your trip.

Saint Paul, MN
Level Contributor
60 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying to San Deigo Best Way TO Get Around

Car, car, car! Some places are manageable without...San Diego is NOT one of them.

7. Re: Flying to San Deigo Best Way TO Get Around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 15:19