We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental Recommendations

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental Recommendations

We need to rent a car for 8 days while we're in San Diego. From what I've read, there does not seem to be any rental agencies located right at the San Diego Airport....and most of them are offering vehicles at similar prices....so, to narrow down our search, are there any car rental agencies in San Diego airport area that come highly recommended???

(or not)?

We'd like to make the pick up / drop off of the vehicle as quick and easy as possible-so we can get on with our vacation!

any suggestions appreciated.

:)

San Mateo...
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental Recommendations

Not sure where you got your info but many of the large car rental companies are right at the airport.

I've had lots of good rates using priceline.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental Recommendations

ALL the car rental agencies are OFF airport in SanDiego but right nearby and considered to be AT the airport..You collect your luggage, go outside the door and a rental car shuttle will be by to pick you up to take you the 2min to where the rental cars are located. I use the least expensiv eone I can find of the major companies like Avis, Hertz,Alamo, AND I also like Enterprise although our other expert has had a bad experience with them.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Rental Recommendations

I think Enterprise had the lowest price by a few dollars over Advantage, but I haven't heard of them???

We have used Alamo in the past, but they were $65 more for the week for the compact car...which could cover the cost of gas for at least half the time we're there!

I'm really happy to hear the car rental places are so close to the airport.....in some cities, off-site pick up can add over an hour to the procedure.

:)

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Rental Recommendations

has anyone used Advantage?

SAN
Level Contributor
77 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Rental Recommendations

You'll have to take a shuttle bus to every car rental company. Advantage and Enterprise are probably the furthest from the airport, but still a short ride to their facilities. All are competitive with rates and cars. Pick one and go-for-it!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Rental Recommendations

I recommend Hertz. There customer service is wonderful. Look on their website for specials. If you decide to go with Enterprise make sure to check their website for specials, since they often have good ones too.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Rental Recommendations

I used Advantage at LAX last October. Had no problems. Not as professional as Hertz or Alamo but got the job done. Shuttle driver didn't say anything, no hello etc. When dropped car off had to wait about 5 minutes for someone to acknowledge I was there.

Hired a PT Cruiser & received a PT Cruiser with 5000 miles on it.

Hope this helps.

Ledj

St. John's, Canada
Level Contributor
106 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Rental Recommendations

I have a car booked with Advantage for a weekend in March - so I was glad to read the post here that the previous renter had no issues with them.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,224 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Rental Recommendations

I have been using Priceline and bidding on cars to rent lately. You bid the price YOU want to pay and then They either accept it or you try again with a higher price. I don't use it much for hotels because most of the time there are particular hotels I want to use BUT I don't mind being surprised about which car company I am getting. I have gotten cars for $12 per day from the Oakland airport and $18per day from Tampa airport. I did research first with the actual car rental companies and this came in WAY lower!

10. Re: Car Rental Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 04:18