We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is Within Walking Distance of Horton Plaza?

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
What is Within Walking Distance of Horton Plaza?

We will be staying at the Westin in Horton Plaza in late March. Is Balboa Park a reasonable and walk from Horton Plaza, or should we drive? How about the Navy Pier and cruise ship terminal? They appear to be only a few blocks from Horton Plaza, but is it a safe walk? I am assuming it is, since I have been reading that most of downtown SD is, for the most part, safe. One last thing--our son wants to see Petco Park, even though there won't be any games yet when we're in SD. Can you see anything from the outside of the park, or would it be a waste of time to walk over there?

Thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,038 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is Within Walking Distance of Horton Plaza?

Petco is a short walk with lots of shopping and restaurants along the way and yeah it is worth a look. There is a Padres store along 6th as I recall.

Navy Pier, Embarcadero, Maritime Museum, Seaport Village -- all easy walks and worth the time.

Balboa Park is less than two miles, slight uphill walk along 5th or 6th. You would enter the park on Laurel St passing over the Cabrillo Bridge. Check www.balboapark.org for details of all attractions.

Coronado is available with a short walk to Broadway Pier and the pedestrian ferry to Coronado Landing.

You can also catch the light rail system: Trolley to Old Town, another interesting pedestrian friendly area. And you can continue on to Fashion Valley if shopping is in your plans.

What you can't get to easily on foot are Sea World, Mexico, La Jolla or Wild Animal Park.

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is Within Walking Distance of Horton Plaza?

If there isn't a Padre game the "Park in the Park" is open free during the day. From there you can walk up to the Tony Gwynn statue, and be right in the bleacher area of the outfield. It is definately worth a trip. Also, the stadium offers behind-the-scenes tours - if you go to www.padres.com and look on the Petco Park tab, it will show you times, etc. Pretty nominal fees - $9 adults and $5 for kids

Dundee, Michigan
Level Contributor
760 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is Within Walking Distance of Horton Plaza?

Thanks to both of you for the information. Since I started this thread this morning, I actually did book a tour of Petco Park. Now my baseball-loving son can still see where the Padres play, even if they will still be in spring training.

Thanks again!

4. Re: What is Within Walking Distance of Horton Plaza?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 08:18