We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about a hotel in San Diego

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
241 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about a hotel in San Diego

Apologies that I'm another person asking about accommodation in San Diego, I've trawled through other posts and can't find a similar question.

I'm looking for some cheap accommodation (motel is fine as long as its got a pool)no more than $100 a night (cheaper if possible) in a safe area that at night we (a family of four and myself)can walk to restaurants etc. It would be nice if we could walk to the beach but not essential, (however a beach nearby would be nice) We will be visiting all the usual places in San Diego, but will have a hire car so distance is not much of an issue. We don't do luxury as long as its clean and has its own bathrooms!

I'm happy to stop out of San Diego if some of the other requirements were there.

NoCal
Level Contributor
1,879 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about a hotel in San Diego

San Diego is not cheap. Hotel Circle area and drive to the beach, nothing will be under $100 unless you stay in a no name motel.

San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
11,518 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about a hotel in San Diego

Your question is date dependent since SAn Diego is a busy summer resort,convention and holiday resort. The prices are going to vary according to your travel dates.

Have a look at www.expedia.com and put in your travel dates then pick a hotel in your budge;check the reviews on this Forum then pose any further questions here about location,etc.

Good Luck!!!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about a hotel in San Diego

In general, $100 per night is on the LOW end of motels here.WHEN are you coming? I ask this because sometimes good deals are offered. The area near OldTown State Park has some reasonably priced motels with pools ,like the Old Town Inn and the La Quinta-Old Town(sometimes the Holiday Inn Express-Old Town also has deals)The area has lots of restaurants in walking distance and beaches will be a 10-15min drive. There are other inexpensive lodgings but many have NO pool or are not really in good walking neighborhoods. HotelCircle/MissionValley is an area by the side of the freeways(highways) with many inexpensive motels BUT it is not really pedestrain friendly for the most part.

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about a hotel in San Diego

Looks as though I am going to have to increase my budget then!

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
62,507 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about a hotel in San Diego

The places I suggested are all inexpensive with the OldTown Inn being about $100 per night.Tell us what you are ABLE to spend and we can help you further.Also WHEN are you coming??

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about a hotel in San Diego

Thanks for that I have already e mailed the old town inn to ask about costs. I am coming in the height of August so not the best time for bargains. Another possibility seems to be the Kings Inn which is a bit more expensive and maybe not really for walking anywhere but does look quite nice (and has good reviews)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
310 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about a hotel in San Diego

I was looking for hotel similar to you.

Kings Inn is fine. Old but clean rooms smell musty as do all old motels/hotels. I stayed there June2006 for $60 a night. This year they want $120-$140. I tossed up between Premier Inn Sports Arena and The Old Town Inn. I chose Premier Inn as it is closer to many restaurants, shopping & Sea World.

Good luck

Ledj

Kettering, United...
Level Contributor
440 posts
241 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about a hotel in San Diego

Thanks for that one Ledj. It seems too good to be true! So hopefully its not! If you see what I mean.

San Diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about a hotel in San Diego

I'm not an expert on cheap hotels, but I would think if you looked further inland (La Mesa, El Cajon, Poway etc) they would be cheaper. Of course that means a further drive to the typical tourist spots.

If you're looking Hotel Circle, Mission Valley, Sports Arena, Downtown, I wouldn't think you'd find anything for under $100, especially in August.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused about a hotel in San Diego

There was a $99 per night deal for Holiday Inn Express Old Town, but I'm not sure how long the promo is running for.....

found this deal at www.travelzoo.com

good luck!