We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area to stay in?

Red Deer, Alberta
Level Contributor
161 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
What area to stay in?

We are travelling to San Diego in October. After spending a week in Anaheim we are going to rent a car and drive down. We are looking at the La Jolla area just because my husband has been there on business before. He never really got a good chance to explore though. We would like to be within 20-30 minutes driving of Sea World and close to a decent beach area. We are travelling with our two daughters, ages 6 and 9. Any suggestions/thoughts?

San Diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What area to stay in?

Hard to say without knowing your budget, but if you're considering La Jolla then you're obviously not looking for a cheap hotel.

October is usually actually pretty warm here, so you should get good beach weather.

As for a hotel, just my personal opinion, but although LJ is very beautiful, it's also pretty congested. At least you're not there during peak tourist season (July - Aug).

If I were coming here on a vacation, I'd just stay somewhere in the Hotel Circle area. You'll find more reasonable pricing and the location is VERY central. You are easily less than 30 minutes from just about any attraction in town, 10 minutes from Sea World, even closer to the zoo, downtown and Old Town.

However, if you're looking for a nicer hotel and want to be close to or on the beach the Hotel Del Coronado and the La Jolla Shores Hotel are very nice, as is The Lodge at Torrey Pines.

Good luck!

2. Re: What area to stay in?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 11:20