We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Boulder, Colorado
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
"Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

Has anyone ever requested or stayed in one of the rumored haunted rooms at the Del? I was wondering if you can request those rooms, if they frown upon it, how far in advance to get one of the rooms...Any info you have would be great. Thanks for indulging me!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

I suggest you call or e-mail the Del directly to see how to handle it, but, yes, I hear that Kate Morgan's room is often requested. I have the number written down somewhere, but would have to search for it. You might want to Google it. I may do that and post afterwards, if no one else does. It is on the third floor, towards the back (west side) of the hotel. I think the room is not really in such a good location, so you may not be happy with it otherwise. I have walked by it a couple of times and not felt any presence what so ever. Also, I remember hearing that a room on the top floor is haunted but I don't know if that has anything to do with Kate. Again, I will search for info if you want.

An employee working in the 1888 shop in the hotel has told me that folks sometimes feel Mariyn Monroe's presence as well, usually in hallways. She also told me that Marilyn and Kate were sort of fighting for space in the shop. The merchandise relating to both had to be placed far apart or they would mysteriously fall from the shelves. I was in there once when books and videos related to Marilyn kept falling from the shelve, even though she had her own little area in the back of the store. I was reading a book and took it as a sign to stop looking at the one I was reading and look at the one the feel to the floor. Maybe she liked that one better! The shop was moved up to the lobby area (and the Del's Signature shop sadly replaced the Palm Court and Lounge). It will be interesting to see if stories persist now that 1888 is in a different and larger area, with lots of room.

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,074 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

"Hotel Del Coronado – Rising from the water’s edge on the island of Coronado, this historic hotel has long been visited by the rich and famous. Considered one of America’s most beautiful resorts, The Del, as the hotel is known by locals, was built in 1888, by Elisha Babcok and H.L. Story, who dreamed of building a seaside resort that would be “the talk of the Western world.” The 399 room grand resort cost over a million dollars to build, a staggering amount at the time. One of the Del’s most often seen ghostly guests is a woman named Kate Morgan who allegedly committed suicide on the beach in 1892. Ms. Morgan has often been spotted in the room that she stayed in – 3327, and upon the grounds of the resort. In another room, #3519, a maid supposedly hanged herself here and this room is also said to be haunted. Other strange phenomena includes objects are tossed about guest rooms as people sleep, the sounds of disembodied footsteps, and mysterious temperature changes. The Hotel Del Coronado, 1500 Orange Avenue, Coronado, California 92118, 619-435-6611 or 800-HOTELDEL."

Note: there are conflicting reports on the net regaring room numbers. Other reports say room 3312 and 3502. However, there were probably two remodels and two number changes, so the above is probably correct.

San Diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: "Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

What do "disembodied footsteps" sound like exactly? Just wondering. ;)

I believe there is also some sort of "Haunted Tour" of the area. I've seen a guy giving small groups a tour just after sunset in the Summer after I'm finishing up a photo shoot there. Can't remember the name of the company though. Just tried to Google it and didn't have much luck, so maybe he's a small outfit or something.

London, UK
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: "Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

We stayed at The Del for a few nights in December 2006 and were originally allocated a room in the new block adjacent to the hotel. Feeling a bit miffed about this, we requested a room in the main hotel and were given room #3327 - not realizing that this was one of the alleged "haunted" rooms. It was a very pleasant room and we didn't notice any funny atmosphere at all, HOWEVER, on several occasions (including the middle of the night) we did hear loud banging on the door. When my partner opened the door there was no one there and we assumed that it was children playing games. Later we found out that we had stayed in Kate Morgan's room (we are from the UK and no previous idea of the history of the hotel) and so this may (or may not) be the case....

Good luck in your mission to stay in one of these rooms and happy ghost hunting...!!!

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

The only things haunted at the Del are the prices!!! The Sunday brunch is now $70 per person, and the price does not include a massage!

San Diego, CA
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: "Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

The Room number at the Del changes periodically, partially to prevent the "banging on the door" episodes.

We run the Limo Tour that dresses in victorian costume and brings small groups to the Del as one of our stops. The name is Ghostly Tours in History.

The Coronado Historical Society also gives tours of the Del. They are very unique in their history.

As for hauntings there, not only is it a well established story, but there is rumored to be a Maid's room as well. In our research of the rumored reasons why it is haunted, it has proven false, however that doesn't mean it is not. The story is that on the day Kate Morgan died the maid who occupied that room disappeared, never to be seen again, and never collected her last pay and is seen looking out the window.. That room at that time was occupied by a manservant, which in victorian time would've never been assigned to a single woman, also there was no maid service on her bill of $24.

There is more to the story. Also, on nights when the moon is clear and bright, very early n the morning, there is a woman seen on the beach in white, in a very large brimmed hat walking from the volleyball court to the ocean. Many believe it is Kate, walking in despair; however the costuming she is seen wearing was worn is 20 years after Kate died. Again more to the story, but I digress.

With regard to the length of time to reserve a room, any time around Halloween is booked about a year in advance. Summer is a popular time as well. Christmas and Thanksgiving are most likely and midweek is best. Current rate quoted was 295-325 per night for that room. Happy haunting, and if you go, please be sure to ride in the Birdcage Elevator. It has been there as long as the hotel.

Lenore

hollywood
Level Contributor
887 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

i've stayed in the kate morgan room. they don't frown on it, it's probably not an unusual request. nothing happened while we were there. i did ask the man that brought up our luggage about it, he had some good stories about that room.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
4,673 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: "Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

It's a beautiful hotel. The architectural details, and the unity of them, are delights. It's half of the remaining wooden hotels in California, the other being the Claremont, a firetrap, in Oakland.

It has two Otis elevators numbered with single digits!

pbhomey complained «The only things haunted at the Del are the prices!!! The Sunday brunch is now $70 per person, and the price does not include a massage!»

We had breakfast there maybe twenty years ago. I asked for some hot sauce and was presented with about two tablespoonsful of pico de gallo in a shallow bowl. There was a $1 charge on the bill. Yes, of course I protested, to no avail.

The bitterness of that was overcome moments after I noted "We've been out of town for five days and I haven't seen anyone I know" I was embraced by two women of my acquaintance as we descended the steps.

9. Re: "Haunted" rooms at the Del Coronado question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2009, 19:16