We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seaworld, Legoland OR Zoo with 4yr old???

Which San Diego hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Seaworld, Legoland OR Zoo with 4yr old???

I'm looking for some feedback/suggestions on which 2 of the above parks are a 'must see' for a family travelling with a 4 year old...we will already have done 2-3 days at Disney before we get to San Diego and although we have 5 days in SD, we only want to spend 2 of them at theme parks....there are so many other things we want to see and do in San Diego!!

thanks!!

:)

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
60,191 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seaworld, Legoland OR Zoo with 4yr old???

I'd say it depends on what you have near your hometown.For instance if there is a zoo there then skip our zoo ,otherwise it is a wonderful experience.

The grownups will enjoy it too.I wouldn't call it a theme park.

Legoland is just for the child in my opinion.It is a theme park built for children under 11.

San Diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Seaworld, Legoland OR Zoo with 4yr old???

Unfortunately I've never been to Legoland so I can't help you there. The zoo and SW are both very cool and very busy during tourist season (you didn't say when you were coming). I would agree with the previous post that if you have a zoo in your town but no SW (and probably no Legoland, I'm not sure if there are others??) then I'd say hit those two.

If you're coming down from LA, LL is on the way down. Once you're in the heart of SD, LL is a good 30-45 minute drive back up to it. So you could possibly stop at LL on your way from LA to SD (hope that isn't too many acronyms). ;)

Canberra
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Seaworld, Legoland OR Zoo with 4yr old???

We were in San Diego April last year and Seaworld was the most exciting place we visited while there. I would say a must. The Zoo was great especially the Panda enclosure. Great city.

Have a good time.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seaworld, Legoland OR Zoo with 4yr old???

Thanks for the feedback so far...

it sounds like maybe we should skip Legoland....I'm sure my DH and I would enjoy the Zoo and Seaworld better.....just hoping our little one will be as interested as we might be....

I forgot to mention that we'll be there next month- mid February-around Presidents day long weekend....

CT
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seaworld, Legoland OR Zoo with 4yr old???

My daughter loved Sea World but then she loves anything with dolphins and she actually got to pet one! She watched both the Shamu show and the dolphin show twice! She fed the sea lions, but her favorite thing was the dolphin coral reef where you could touch them.

We have visited the the zoo several times, the first when she was 4 yrs old and it is BIG for a little kid (or even us bigger kids) to walk around. My girl fell asleep and we had to take the bus around and around the park till she was awake and she got a little cranky but some of that was jet lag too. If you go to the zoo on the weekend there is a little train ride and a carousel in Balboa Park right next door to the parking lot of the zoo that run only on weekends in the winter and our daughter loved both. Also Balboa park has a great interactive science museum for the kids.

Legoland is fun for the younger kids but during the winter the hours are shorter (check before you go!) and when we went (February) the lines were still so long (sometimes 45 minutes to an hour wait for some rides)that we only got to go on a few rides. They did have some live shows that are a lot of fun for the young kids (a Mideval show and a fireman comedy show as well as a ventriloquist when we went) As mentioned in another post it is in Carlsbad which is about 30-35 minutes North of San Diego, so plan accordingly. Have fun.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seaworld, Legoland OR Zoo with 4yr old???

If you are doing 2 days at Disneyland then I would skip Legoland. It would be a major let down after the magic of Disneyland. Legoland stands well on it's own, especially with young children... but cannot hold a candle to Disneyland. I would opt for Sea World.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
255 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seaworld, Legoland OR Zoo with 4yr old???

Thanks everybody...with all the great feedback and suggestions, we've decided to do Seaworld and the Zoo since they each have something different to offer-espcially after Disneyland. Then we'll still have 3 free days to explore San Diego.....

:)

8. Re: Seaworld, Legoland OR Zoo with 4yr old???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 21:15