We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need travel advice

RHODE ISLAND
Level Contributor
192 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Need travel advice

I am staying in San Diego for one week and I wanted to take a mid week trip to Los Angeles on a Wednesday and stay one night. I need to be checked in my hotel and available to board a tour bus at 11:40. What time should I leave the resort that I am staying at in Escondido to be there on time to check in, park car, and board the tour bus without being stressed out driving? Someone on the LA forum suggested I post here. They stated they did not know which route would be better on a weekday 15 to 10 or 78 to 5. My hotel in LA is in West Hollywood at the Le Montrose. I would appreciate any input from those who know the traffic.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need travel advice

15 is generally a nightmare any more. It used to be the quickest non-busy route. The past few years it has become terribly slow and congested. I would go 78 to 5.

From Escondido on 78 to the 5 will take you about 30 minutes. From 78 & the 5 up to L.A. will take you at least an 1 1/2 hours if you are driving into the city. So count on a minimum of 2 hours and then give yourself some cushion for the parking, hotel check-in, etc.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
61,682 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need travel advice

Have you checked with the hotel that you can check in that early???I'd leave at about 8:30AM to give yourself

breathing room.

I think I agree about the route but if you can listen to local news in the morning they will tell you about traffic.

San Diego
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need travel advice

I would leave at 8am, that should give you plenty of time considering the drive, traffic, and the fact that you're not familiar with the area.

I'd also agree on the route. You'll hit heavy traffic transitioning from the 15N to the 78W, and the 78W will be very heavy. But once you get to the 5N you'll cruise for about 45 minutes and then hit LA traffic which can be a real nightmare.

RHODE ISLAND
Level Contributor
192 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need travel advice

Thanks, that is what route I will take the 78 to the 5. 78 what and 5 what, just in case there isn't a sign saying LA. I have tried using mapquest, but all they give me is the directions using the 15 which all of you said I should avoid. Thanks again.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
613 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need travel advice

Take 78 West to 5 North.

Where in LA are you headed? There is a portion of toll road (CA-73) you can take off of Hwy 5 to shave about 20 minutes off your drive. It lands you on the 405-N towards Long Beach.

RHODE ISLAND
Level Contributor
192 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need travel advice

I am headed to the Beverly Hills/West Hollywood area.

San Diego,Ca.
Level Contributor
7,514 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need travel advice

KNX 1070 on the AM radio is a 24 hr. newsradio station based in L.A they have traffic repots every 8 minutes for all problems/accidents on all major LA freeways.

Once you get to the Los Angeles/Oarnge County metropolitian area you will have a choice to take the 5 freeway or the 405 freeway. You will be on one or the other for a big chunk of travel time through the Metro LA/OC area. I suggest turning on KNX 1070 right when you enter Oarnge Co. which will be about 25 minutes before you get to the 5/405 split.

I have driven to West Hollywood/Century City 5 times in the last year and have a good route.The route is San Diego freeway #405 north to Harbor freeway #110 north to Santa Monica freeway #10 west exit Robertson Blvd. going north and W. Hollywood is 3 miles down Robertson Blvd.

Whatever way you go listen to the traffic reports on KNX 1070. and usually there is less large 16 wheeler trucks(alot less) and less accidents on the 405 than the 5 at least the 5 times I have gone in the last year ,and the 405 freeway travel is through newer/fresher areas as well. :0)

8. Re: Need travel advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 21:18