We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are under 21's allowed into bars?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Topic
Are under 21's allowed into bars?

Hi everone, this may seem an odd question, let me explain. We are a family of 3,from England, 14 year old child , who will be coming to San Diego in August. The liscening laws are different in the US than in the UK, we would like to know if it is accptable to bring under 21's in to bars as we enjoy relaxing in the evening after a day sight seeing with a cold beer or a glass of wine. If it is ok it would be really helpful if you could suggest some nice places, particularly places with great water views/ sun set views. We are planning to stay either down town , shelter isalnd or coronado and will be relying on taxi's or public transport.

Thanks.

San Diego, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
1,645 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are under 21's allowed into bars?

Well, that's a kind of "it depends". If it is a 'true' bar, then no - 21 and up only. However, many of the restaurants have 'lounges' - and the sort-of rule-of-thumb is that if food is served than kids are okay.

The best thing to do is ask around, wherever you are staying...but I'd bet that most of the 'lounges' with water views or sunset views will serve food and your 14-year-old will be allowed.

San Diego, CA
Level Contributor
3,711 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are under 21's allowed into bars?

As long as food is served, then people under 21 can go into bars, or lounges. If you are staying downtown, then I always suggest the bar on the 40th Floor of the Hyatt downtown, they have awesome views up and down the coast, and it's a livingroom-type atmosphere. For a great sunset, Peohe's on Coronado is awesome, because you can see the sunset reflect on the downtown buildings across San Diego Bay. I also love sitting on the steps behind the convention center downtown watching the sun set behind Pt. Loma. There are many great places...those are a few of my favorites.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are under 21's allowed into bars?

Thanks for the replies. This may be a stupid question but does that mean we have to eat at the same time if we want a drink? Obviusly we will be having dinner each evening but it's nice to visit a variety of places rather than stay in one place all evening.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,636 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are under 21's allowed into bars?

It has been a long time since I was a server, but the laws in CA are generally that minors are allowed in the bar area of a restaurant, but not at the bar itself. So you could go into one of the restaurants in Seaport Village and have a drink at a table in the bar area and you would not be expected to eat.

Besides Seaport Village, there are some places in Mission Beach, Coronado, Shelter Island & Harbor Island you could go to.

Newbury Park...
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Are under 21's allowed into bars?

Many of the hotel bars/lounges allow for children to sit with you while you have a drink. We do and they do not require you to purchase food. They usually make the kids some fun nonalcoholic drinks too.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Are under 21's allowed into bars?

That's very helpful, thanks! Glad you didn't get the wrong idea, we are not alcholic's!!!

Yucaipa, California
Destination Expert
for Anaheim
Level Contributor
18,623 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are under 21's allowed into bars?

My favorite is the Babcock and Story Lounge in the Hotel Del Coronado. If you like, you can grab a table outside with a view of the ocean. Kids can get sodas or "Del Smoothies". Adults can get rum in the smoothies. It will be very busy there in August, especially in the evenings, but there is often someone playing guitar and you can also walk on the beach. If you decide to eat anything, they have great lobster bisque as well as crab cakes.

Here's another suggestion:

Edgewater Grill in Seaport Village - outside patio is best

8. Re: Are under 21's allowed into bars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 04:16